SaabCentral Forums banner

Questions You think are too stupid to ask

820651 Views 6255 Replies 1083 Participants Last post by  93inmo
I have not noticed one yet for 9-3SS's but I would like to make this thread, The Questions that you think are really stupid to ask thread. I got the idea from the 900 forum this morning as I posted a 9-3 specific question in that room... needless to say they didnt have an answer and they reminded me i was in the wrong year/model/make section of saab central...:(

Wow, this thread really is for the Saab/Mentally challenged individuals. ;) :p ;)
6201 - 6220 of 6256 Posts

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
596 Posts
Been reading old, old posts about opening the EHU and soldering on RCA line outs to it. They mention pics, but the threads are so old all the pics are gone. I've searched many threads that mention EHU and RCA, but so far have nothing. Does anyone have links to the procedure or pics of it?
...a solution?

· Registered
325 Posts
Those 6x9s produce very little due to the way the system is set up. Besides, I have a sub and amp left over from another build and they just begged me to put them in the Saab. What's a guy gonna do?

Yup, I actually have a really good LOC but was still interested in the difficult way, lol.

This is probably obvious to most, but when you use the speaker out of the ICM and attach this to an LOC, how clean is the signal? What about when you turn up the volume on the ICM to the point where it starts to distort? Is the signal coming out of the LOC still clean? That's why I was interested in the line out mod of the ICM.

· Registered
798 Posts
Had a low coolant warning the other week. Topped it up, driven a bit and since then the car's been tucked away. Checked again this week and the level seems good and there's no fluid on the floor or evidence of coolant around the reservoir. However, I have noticed the reservoir cap seems to screw and unscrew with excessive turns. I believe the reservoir and caps can be a weak point on these cars. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

· Registered
596 Posts
Had to replace the coolant cap on my 9-5 recently as it literally fell apart, causing the reservoir to overflow when the coolant was hot. Guess that the reservoir itself is a common weak point of many cars, given the permanent exposition to chemicals and constantly varying temperatures.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
I think that especially with this discount you are doing nothing wrong with that "Gold Shield".
Well, oddly the sale price is still exactly that.

Cover definitely fits very well. It also has cross-car tiedowns at front and back. I can say with confidence that it won't blow off. Good--going out in a windy rainstorm or blizzard to retrieve and replace the cover is a hobby I'm happy to give up.

Seems pretty water-resistant as well.

I haven't figured out what to do with the stupid shark-fin antenna on the trunk/boot lid. The cover comes with a fabric grommet, where you cut a hole for the antenna and then the grommet goes around the hole. At present, I put an upended Haagen-Dazs container over the antenna which should protect the cover. If I could get rid of the shark fin totally, I would be happy. It's a useless nuisance.

· Registered
596 Posts
If you can retrieve it - after a stormy night, the cover I had on my car seemingly went airborne after the straps snapped and headed off to another city...state...nation. Anyway, never saw it again. Was a cheap one, so the loss was minor. ;)

I would like to get rid of that shark fin too. Apart from the outer plastic crumbling away, I still haven't figured out why it is there at all since the radio antenna is in the rear side windows. Definitely a project for the next spring.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
So how exactly does one reset the oil life monitor on a 2004? I have turned the key on without starting the engine, pressing the brake or not. Every time I try, I have the oil life, but all I can do is click OK and it goes back to the menu. There is no choice for "Reset oil life monitor". Do I need a Tech II???

Does someone make updated DVDs for 2003-2006 nav? Can one at least make a backup of the DVD in case the original fades or gets damaged?

Do OEM steel 16" rims fit over the extra-large 314m brakes as found on North American V6 cars? And do any 16" OEM alloys possibly fit?

· Registered
596 Posts
Is that for North America or Europe?
Europe (since my rather cursory search gave no results for North America) but I don't think that the map manufacturers would release updates for a single region only.

For the question about a DVD backup software...there are some solutions out there which are allowing 1:1 copies but if you have to circumvent a copy protection we're looking into the "grey area to use forbidden"-zone. That's why I had refrained from posting suggestions here, plus a number of software has not seen updates for ages so you can't be sure that they will work properly.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
I am still wondering where or how I could get a backup and/or the latest version of the 2006 nav DVD. North America. Eastern North America if it came to that. eBay not helpful here.

I read in WIS that CA/US 2003-2006 cars with HID do not do bi-xenon, they just leave the HID on low beam and add H7 high beam. Is this true? (I don't know and can't easily check at the moment.) Can that be fixed, or do the "DOT" headlights leave out the shutter movement mechanism?

Last question, where would information on using the nav system be found? I have a bunch of 2004 infotainment manuals, but ICM3 is not mentioned. Maybe it is in the 2006 version of that guide, but if I have one, I have not found it. Car did not come with one.

6201 - 6220 of 6256 Posts