SaabCentral Forums banner
6021 - 6040 of 6082 Posts

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Ed, you can not use old fobs with another (used) CIM. Only new CIM can use already existing fobs which are stored in ECU.
Doh! Forgot that. Well, this is why it was a question too stupid to ask!

Why are you exploring CIM replacement?
Just for spare parts. Later NG9-3 are somewhat "common" in the junkyards right now. In a few years, who knows?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Doh! Forgot that. Well, this is why it was a question too stupid to ask!

Just for spare parts. Later NG9-3 are somewhat "common" in the junkyards right now. In a few years, who knows?
They are pretty common. But rarely include the FOB. So they are useless unless you have the skill and tools to virginize the CIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
They are pretty common. But rarely include the FOB. So they are useless unless you have the skill and tools to virginity the CIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, there are fobs in one or two of the cars! I didn't pay too much attention to that, because I know I can't use the fobs in my car. But, I missed something: CIM! :unsure:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Blew my motor. Cylinder sleeve has a gouge in it from a manufacturing defect. Sourcing a new one. Are the short blocks from the B207 “E” “L” and “R” all the same?

Here is an old post with an adequate breakdown..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why hasn't someone attempted to reverse-engineer a 9-3'sTrionic ECM? I get that it's covered in plastic crap to "seal" it, but there's gotta be a way to reverse-engineer it, and the guy who wrote the code for it is still around, selling aftermarket e-SIDs. Why doesn't he just write the code out for the ECM and give it to someone who can build a new one? There has to be a way to acid-bath the plastic off the PCB without damaging the components. Also, eff GM for designing it that way. "I know! Let's take these sensitive electronics that run the entire vehicle, and put them next to the hottest part of the car!" Psh. Idiotic. There's no way you can tell me that GM/Saab couldn't have put it somewhere else in the engine compartment instead of next to a hot block to bake the electronics.

Yes, I get that it would take a feat of engineering, but whomever did so would have an instant customer base 10,000-strong, and would become a millionaire overnight. I'd pay $1500 or so for a brand new ECM.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Why hasn't someone attempted to reverse-engineer a Saab 9-3'sTrionic ECM? I get that it's covered in plastic crap to "seal" it, but there's gotta be a way to reverse-engineer it, and the guy who wrote the code for it is still around, selling aftermarket e-SIDs. Why doesn't he just write the code out for the ECM and give it to someone who can build a new one? There has to be a way to acid-bath the plastic off the PCB without damaging the components. Also, eff GM for designing it that way. "I know! Let's take these sensitive electronics that run the entire vehicle, and put them next to the hottest part of the car!" Psh. Idiotic. There's no way you can tell me that GM/Saab couldn't have put it somewhere else in the engine compartment instead of next to a hot block to bake the electronics.

Yes, I get that it would take a feat of engineering, but whomever did so would have an instant customer base 10,000-strong, and would become a millionaire overnight. I'd pay $1500 or so for a brand new ECM.
Because you are probably the only person who gives a rats *** about this. You then say : “ an instant customer base 10,000 strong”. You are also for sure delusional with this statement. Whatever.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Because you are probably the only person who gives a rats *** about this. You then say : “ an instant customer base 10,000 strong”. You are also for sure delusional with this statement. Whatever.
Apparently, there's no answer too stupid to give.

ECMs in hot climates fail faster than those in cold climates. ECM fails, and poof, your car is toast. So your generalization that I'm the only one who cares is incorrect and arrogant, to say the least, or do you walk around and just assume that everyone else is stupider than you? Just because you have a Saab, and may know more about them than someone else means exactly zero, and the fact that you denigrate those who aren't as knowledgeable is a turn-off for the brand. So really, you're doing Saabs a disservice because who the hell wants to deal with an arrogant prick who comes to the Questions You Think Are Too Stupid To Ask thread to troll people asking questions they already know or suspect are kind of dumb, but are curious nonetheless?

Furthermore, those of us with failing ECMs would line up for new ones that weren't just some re-programmed old ones off Saabs with 150,000+ miles on it. Go flame someone else. You never know, my "delusional" state may be contagious and you wouldn't want to catch it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Surf the forums here and see how many “ failed ecu” you can find.
I thought so.
the latest NG Saab are what ? Ten years old ? Few spend the money to keep them up to scratch. Those that do ( I am one) won’t likely fail the ECU ever ?
10,000 customers for a $1500 ecu ( your estimate) for a car worth ? 1000-3000 dollars ? : delusional.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I forget you're up in Commie Canada where the inflation hasn't hit yet. Down here, ALL Saabs are going for around $5,000+. For those that want to drive their Saabs forever (I am one), $1500 is a pittance for a component that is delicate and will outlast the life of the car with a $100 modification to get it off the block.

The only delusion here is that you're continuing to defend the indefensible. Like I said, go away and flame someone else or get blocked. This is the thread to ask questions, not ask questions so that a person can be talked down to, you arrogant dick.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I forget you're up in Commie Canada where the inflation hasn't hit yet. Down here, ALL Saabs are going for around $5,000+. For those that want to drive their Saabs forever (I am one), $1500 is a pittance for a component that is delicate and will outlast the life of the car with a $100 modification to get it off the block.

The only delusion here is that you're continuing to defend the indefensible. Like I said, go away and flame someone else or get blocked. This is the thread to ask questions, not ask questions so that a person can be talked down to, you arrogant dick.
The irony of an American using "Commie Cananda" & "Where the inflation hasn't hit yet" is brilliant, it sounds like a line from a George Carlin a bit on the global ignorance of us Americans.

No one in their right mind is spending "$1500" to keep even a $5k car running due to a poorly designed piece that shouldn't even factor into a wear/maintenance budget. At 10 - 20 yrs old, any reasonable person would scrap the car & move on at that point. Car enthusiasts are not known for being reasonable but Saab enthusiasts are a very small bunch...most cult car followings are performance vehicles with far lower production numbers & those groups are probably still even larger than true Saab enthusiasts.

I agree any vehicle should have the ECU within the cabin, definitely not in the engine bay. It was a huge oversight but one of many issues that make these cars "run em into the ground" vehicles at this point. Go into any junkyard & you'll steady streams of them retired with no collision damage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The irony of an American using "Commie Cananda" & "Where the inflation hasn't hit yet" is brilliant, it sounds like a line from a George Carlin a bit on the global ignorance of us Americans.

No one in their right mind is spending "$1500" to keep even a $5k car running due to a poorly designed piece that shouldn't even factor into a wear/maintenance budget. At 10 - 20 yrs old, any reasonable person would scrap the car & move on at that point. Car enthusiasts are not known for being reasonable but Saab enthusiasts are a very small bunch...most cult car followings are performance vehicles with far lower production numbers & those groups are probably still even larger than true Saab enthusiasts.

I agree any vehicle should have the ECU within the cabin, definitely not in the engine bay. It was a huge oversight but one of many issues that make these cars "run em into the ground" vehicles at this point. Go into any junkyard & you'll steady streams of them retired with no collision damage.
I appreciate what you are saying. However, someone that has spent thousands modifying their car is not going to be so quick to want to strip said thousands of dollars worth of modifications off the car just to spend months putting them on the next car. Tinted windows, custom grille, custom valve cover, custom intake, custom speakers, custom fuse box, custom wiring for said fuse box, badging, spoilers, smoked taillights, and the list goes on.

Furthermore, do people who have their Saabs stage tuned just abandon their staging hardware in the car? Probably not. What about someone with a Stage 3 Saab? Stage 5? Stage 3 is at least $3-5,000 sunk into the car with labor. Do they just say, eff it, I’m not paying $800-1,000 for a “new” ECM, I’d rather just abandon the thousands I’ve already spent?

So it’s not just a matter of going to the junkyard to find a new one. Especially down here in Austin, Texas, where Saabs, unlike Beamers, Mercedes, Porsches, and Maseratis, are not so common. I’ve seen exactly four Saabs in six months. Four of them. They are a unicorn down here unless you plan on driving hundreds of miles to get another.

So the idea that people who’ve already sunk thousands into their car won’t pay an extra few hundred bucks on top of the exorbitant price tag for an ECM that is absolutely brand new is unthinkable to me. Maybe my price gauge is off—ECMs are normally $800-900 a piece, right? Even if that is off, my point that spending $1500 for a part after you’ve already spent multiple thousands maintaining and slowly modifying the car still stands. Especially given how expensive stage tuning a Saab to the max is.

Yes, it’s a niche car, but unlike with Beamers, I don’t need specialized tools. Yes, it’s a niche car, but if there was a way to replace the brain box with something brand new, the brand would see a resurgence of popularity as the cost of the ECM would just be part of the cost of the car, just like the specialized tools are for a Beamer, or the expectation that parts are exorbitant as they are with, say, a Ferrari. Yes, I compared a Saab to Ferrari because I’ve seen more Ferraris down here than Saabs, and nothing drives like a Saab, or is as safe as a Saab. Enthusiasts who are rebuilding their cars don’t care about costs when they’re planning on keeping their car forever and don’t want to waste months re-building a new car to where they had the old one, just to continue from where they left off.

Sorry, I didn’t think it was that controversial when people who rebuild ‘69 Pontiac GTOs (for instance) spends tens of thousands of dollars on one car because it’s so rare and they love it so much. I love my Saab. MY Saab, one I’ve already put thousands into maintaining and modifying. I never want to drive another brand again. Thank you for the thoughtful reply, though. And yeah, I laughed at the Commie Canada thing. We have runaway inflation down here which is why I cannot find used 9-3s for less than five stacks—even crappy ones.

6021 - 6040 of 6082 Posts