SaabCentral Forums banner

5921 - 5940 of 5950 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertivble 5-Speed
67 Posts
So I went to a you-pull yard. They had about 10 NG9-3, one V6, the rest 2.0 of various vintages, not sure if any 2008+.

• Every 9-3 had its ECU pulled
  • All but one 9-3 had their coolant reservoirs removed. There was also one lying around loose, with its vent thingmy broken. I pulled the remaining reservoir, it held pressure when I blew into it (not much PSI, but still)
  • All 9-3 with old style headlights with the three-leg plastic latch had all their low beam bulb connedtor and wiring cannibalized (i.e. snipped and gone....maybe I did some of that on the cars that have been there longer)
  • All 9-5 (about 5) had been castrated
So I got a coolant tank with cap, RH and LH mirror glass in good condition, a hood alarm switch with intact rubber boot, a speaker connector that I will use for trying alternate speakers in the 9-3 centre speaker position, Three sets of manuals from various 9-3 and 9-5, and a windshield washer reservoir gooseneck for the 9-3. All that ran me $10. Oh well, it's a hobby. :D
Sounds like hidden treasures to me!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Screw extractor stuck in spark plug well. Anything besides removing whole head???
I need more info. What is it doing in there? Did it just fall in? If so would try long pliers or magnet if it’s magnetic. Is it wedged between the spark plug and well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need more info. What is it doing in there? Did it just fall in? If so would try long pliers or magnet if it’s magnetic. Is it wedged between the spark plug and well?
Little back story, ha ha haa, was removing a spark plug from 4 to 1 to see if code threw for misfire in 1 after switch. Anyhow 4 came out with little muscle and 1 was stuck and only white part came out threads stayed. Guy said he could get it out and got extractor stuck in 1. It is moving below hole but will not come back through. I hope I'm explaining this in understandable language lol. Oh and have to mention he also tried to remove 2 and same exact thing but this extractor is stuck in threads will not budge

·
Registered
67 Posts
Little back story, ha ha haa, was removing a spark plug from 4 to 1 to see if code threw for misfire in 1 after switch. Anyhow 4 came out with little muscle and 1 was stuck and only white part came out threads stayed. Guy said he could get it out and got extractor stuck in 1. It is moving below hole but will not come back through. I hope I'm explaining this in understandable language lol. Oh and have to mention he also tried to remove 2 and same exact thing but this extractor is stuck in threads will not budge
I knew there had to be a story! I completely understand what the issues is now. Thanks! I haven’t experienced this personally but from what I have heard…
It is important to use a square cut extractor for spark plugs that have broken as described. So for #2 make use to use Square cut extractor. The round ones that are like a drill bit that works backward can expand the stuck part.

To remove the stuck extractor, best I can recommend is keep trying to turn it to remove it. Turn right in this case. (Lefty loosey is not applicable here. 😄)

Someone else may have suggestions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts
I knew there had to be a story! I completely understand what the issues is now. Thanks! I haven’t experienced this personally but from what I have heard…
It is important to use a square cut extractor for spark plugs that have broken as described. So for #2 make use to use Square cut extractor. The round ones that are like a drill bit that works backward can expand the stuck part.

To remove the stuck extractor, best I can recommend is keep trying to turn it to remove it. Turn right in this case. (Lefty loosey is not applicable here. 😄)

Someone else may have suggestions. 🤷🏼‍♂️
ok maybe another stupid question but are all extractors that way? Meaning lefty tighty righty loosey

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
yes,other wise you wouldn't be able to remove it..Also depends on whether the thread is left or right handed..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok one out one to go. Sprayed some pb blaster and the liquid is just sitting in there. Guessing pretty tight seal. Since it is 4 cylinder should I or shouldn't I hook up other 3 and start the car?

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
leave it to soak,over night,give the fluid time to penetrate the seal and work its way down the threads...Been there done that but not with spark plug...This why a layer of lubricant should be applied to the threads...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I really hope that extractor didn't get used to drill through the spark plug. That would be a terrible scenario.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really hope that extractor didn't get used to drill through the spark plug. That would be a terrible scenario.
I agree. I would put a magnet in there just in case any metal dropped in/shaved off. If the threads were damaged that would need repair. I’ve done a helicoil on mine before because of a cross thread issue. It’s possible but nerve racking!!

Edit: also I would take the time to replace the 3rd spark plug. Sounds like it’s well past time.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Can a steering wheel from a 2008 9-5 w/ automatic trans be used on a 2004 9-3 manual?

The 9-3 airbag would be reused, as the 9-5's bag is a Takata. 💣 The switches would have to swapped over, too.

Would it be useful or necessary to grab the clockspring from the 9-5?

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Nope. Different splines.
You can not use older airbag, because it have different fitting.
Nope, 9-3 have integrated clock spring in CIM.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Nope. Different splines.
You can not use older airbag, because it have different fitting.
Nope, 9-3 have integrated clock spring in CIM.
Well, it's a very nice steering wheel. Three spoke with triangular airbag, identical in appearance to NG 9-3 wheels.

At the risk of not being sufficiently stupid to be asked here:
  1. Are all NG 9-3 splines/steering wheels same/interchangeable? If not, split is what model year?
  2. Are all OG 9-5 splines/steering wheels same/interchangeable? (I know that OG 9-3 and late [1998] NG 900 wheels interchange with earlier 9-5s.) If not, split is what model year?
  3. What is the difference in two-stage airbags that use the slip wire method of retention? The 9-5's airbag had the same annoying "pry clip inwards to release airbag" as found on NG 9-3. One side came loose quite quickly, other took much, much too long. Without directly comparing the 9-5 airbag with a 9-3 airbag, size and retention method seem the same to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. I would put a magnet in there just in case any metal dropped in/shaved off. If the threads were damaged that would need repair. I’ve done a helicoil on mine before because of a cross thread issue. It’s possible but nerve racking!!

Edit: also I would take the time to replace the 3rd spark plug. Sounds like it’s well past time.
OK ONE MORE QUESTION.... CAR IS A 08 9-3 2.0T IS THE ENGINE B207L OR R AND WHATS THE DIFFERENCE

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK ONE MORE QUESTION.... CAR IS A 08 9-3 2.0T IS THE ENGINE B207L OR R AND WHATS THE DIFFERENCE
B207R is the Arc model with a higher pressure turbo so more power. Around 210 hp. B207L is the Linear model with less power. Around 175 hp I think.

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
look at the 8 digit reading from the left of your vin that will tell you what engine you have..F=1.8t(Garrett),S=2.0t(Garrett),Y=2.0T(Mitsubishi)

pretty sure saab put the Mitsi Turbo on all engines from 07/08..

·
Registered
67 Posts
thank you sir or ma'am. so idiot answer L??
Well it actually seems like for the 2007+ cars they only offered the B207R or the v6. aerojon posted above the VIN identification for you to be sure but I would say R.
So may little changed it can be hard to remember the years things change.

5921 - 5940 of 5950 Posts