SaabCentral Forums banner

5901 - 5920 of 5950 Posts

·
Registered
2008 9-3 Aero SportCombi
35 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with their in-dash 6-CD changer being really finicky? Is this a common issue with a known solution? I hadn't actually tried the CD changer in my '08 because I didn't have any CDs, but I recently got a bunch of my old CDs from my parents and tried loading the thing and it keeps saying "no playable files" for each one. The CDs aren't pristine, but they're in pretty good shape. I did once manage to get a CD to play, but it got rejected the next time I tried to load more disks. Anyway, it's a fairly minor annoyance but it would be nice to have an easy alternative to the radio.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I have heard the changers can be finicky. That being said, I got one from a junkyard car to replace the single CD player and the changer works just fine.

Are you using CDs from the record store, or home-burned ones?

·
Registered
2008 9-3 Aero SportCombi
35 Posts
I have heard the changers can be finicky. That being said, I got one from a junkyard car to replace the single CD player and the changer works just fine.

Are you using CDs from the record store, or home-burned ones?
From the record store.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My CD player must have a short bc it keeps switching itself over when the radio is playing. I just deactivated it with tech II (still electrically tries to activate but doesn't switch off the radio now) but one of these days I gotta take apart the dash to get a better look at it. It doesn't function ir read disc's either; pretty sure its a single CD unit.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
From the record store.
You could try some of these unreadable CDs in some other car's player to really confirm if it's the CD or the unit. It could be the unit, maybe it's full of dust from never having been used. It might be interesting to pull it out and open it up.

My CD player must have a short bc it keeps switching itself over when the radio is playing. I just deactivated it with tech II (still electrically tries to activate but doesn't switch off the radio now) but one of these days I gotta take apart the dash to get a better look at it. It doesn't function ir read disc's either; pretty sure its a single CD unit.
If you have six buttons labelled 1 to 6 under the slot, you have a changer. Otherwise, it's a single disc player.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Question about a 2004 2.0T with six speed manual. At idle in neutral, there is something of a rapid clunking from the engine area. Depressing the clutch pedal tends to silence this. Could that be a going bad dual-mass flywheel? Car drives and shifts fine otherwise. It's just a noise that it probably shouldn't be making.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Question about a 2004 2.0T with six speed manual. At idle in neutral, there is something of a rapid clunking from the engine area. Depressing the clutch pedal tends to silence this. Could that be a going bad dual-mass flywheel? Car drives and shifts fine otherwise. It's just a noise that it probably shouldn't be making.
Although it's hard to troubleshoot noises over the internet it sounds like a bad throw out bearing should be top of the list to consider

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
You will have warning light and it needs TECH2 to erase it.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
2004 CV with the Pioneer speakers (so I presume the deluxe system with subwoofer).

Left front speaker wasn't working. Turns out that the two male contact pins on the speaker were corroded. They looked fine, but even putting my multimeter probes on either side of a tab gave open circuit. I scraped the tabs with a small file and cleaned with brake/contact cleaner (that's what it says on the can!) and wiped with lots of Q-tips.

Speaker works fine now.

I am wondering if this is a known issue.

I have never seen this kind of thing before. There was no evidence of water infiltration. I cleaned up all the other contact pins and the female parts of the connectors that I could get to in the door, while I was there. I might do the same on the passenger side.

System sounds a lot better with that door speaker working!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the front seat upholstery the same from right to left? My driver's seat is getting worn, however I found a local part out that has an immaculate passenger seat. I was thinking of getting this part-out passenger seat, taking it apart, and reusing the cushions and leather on my driver's side seat frame.

Obviously I don't want to bother if the cushions were to be different for some reason.

Edited for clarity

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Does anyone else track RockAuto wholesaler clearout parts?

Opened up a box o stuff from them.

Comments:
  • Belt tensioner is made in US, I think that a new belt would keep the accesory drive going for the life of the car
  • Bosch oil filter is so cheap, I ordered 10! Comes with the lid gasket. Set for oil changes for....ever?
  • The Valeo wiper blade appears to be excellent quality; it was so cheap, I ordered 4. I like it better than the Bosch hybrid, of which I got one. If nothing else, I can use these blades for winter storage of the car
Considering I put the order in at 1 PM EDT (that's me!) on Monday, getting them on my front porch here in Toronto on a Wednesday afternoon is very good....and I went for pretty much the default shipping option.

BTW other things like cabin filter are not on the list 'cause I got the last one. :p

·
Registered
'11 9-3X; '08 9-3 Aero XWD; '06 9-5 Aero Wagon; '99 9-5 Wagon; '89 900S; '83 900; '78 99 GL.
27 Posts
Does anyone else track RockAuto wholesaler clearout parts?

Opened up a box o stuff from them.

Comments:
  • Belt tensioner is made in US, I think that a new belt would keep the accesory drive going for the life of the car
  • Bosch oil filter is so cheap, I ordered 10! Comes with the lid gasket. Set for oil changes for....ever?
  • The Valeo wiper blade appears to be excellent quality; it was so cheap, I ordered 4. I like it better than the Bosch hybrid, of which I got one. If nothing else, I can use these blades for winter storage of the car
Considering I put the order in at 1 PM EDT (that's me!) on Monday, getting them on my front porch here in Toronto on a Wednesday afternoon is very good....and I went for pretty much the default shipping option.

BTW other things like cabin filter are not on the list 'cause I got the last one. :p
Thanks for that, EdT. I was not aware of this service at RockAuto.
Not much there for my two Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero XWD & 2011 9-3X, but something I'll definitely look at regularly now.
BTW, gotta agree that RockAuto is awesome for shipping to Toronto. Very fast, and no customs or brokerage headaches.
Keep Safe and Saab On!!

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I ignore RockAuto's newsletter, but I also need to keep a closer eye when they send a "Closeout" notice to me.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Does the coolant reservoir tend to crack on 2.0 engines? If so, where is typical crack? Where top and bottom are joined?

My 2004 was a bit low on coolant a couple of weeks ago--not enough to trigger the low coolant warning--so I topped it up to halfway, i.e. right by the KALT mark in the middle of the reservoir.

It sat for the last week, then I took it on a couple of drives yesterday, maybe 3 hours total, much of which was cruising along at low RPM and speeds of 40-60 km/h.

When I opened the hood (just to see how hot it had gotten) I found some coolant on the lip where the top and bottom are joined together. It was right by the KALT mark. I don't think I spilled anything when I topped it up a while ago, but?? Also, there was no apparent coolant trail down from the cap or the small hoses on the top of the reservoir. An in any case, the level in the reservoir was still just over halfway, i.e. over the KALT mark but not by much. Judging by the rad hose, the system was still fully pressurized.

Cracked, or about to crack, coolant reservoir? Do these fail catastrophically?

·
Registered
2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertivble 5-Speed
67 Posts
Does the coolant reservoir tend to crack on 2.0 engines? If so, where is typical crack? Where top and bottom are joined?

My 2004 was a bit low on coolant a couple of weeks ago--not enough to trigger the low coolant warning--so I topped it up to halfway, i.e. right by the KALT mark in the middle of the reservoir.

It sat for the last week, then I took it on a couple of drives yesterday, maybe 3 hours total, much of which was cruising along at low RPM and speeds of 40-60 km/h.

When I opened the hood (just to see how hot it had gotten) I found some coolant on the lip where the top and bottom are joined together. It was right by the KALT mark. I don't think I spilled anything when I topped it up a while ago, but?? Also, there was no apparent coolant trail down from the cap or the small hoses on the top of the reservoir. An in any case, the level in the reservoir was still just over halfway, i.e. over the KALT mark but not by much. Judging by the rad hose, the system was still fully pressurized.

Cracked, or about to crack, coolant reservoir? Do these fail catastrophically?
I have been having the same problem. I have not heard that the reservoir cracking on the 2.0. I think the spring in the cap is aging. I think it allows the coolant to escape as steam at regular engine temp. Just my opinion. For me it takes a couple months to send the SID warning after I top off. 600-800 miles maybe.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Remember that coolant expands when warm.
I am not worried about crack because you do have pressure in coolant tank. Crack always releases pressure.

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
@EdT Not cracking like the V6 tank but there has be instances where it's split where the top two small pipes locate..

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
So I went to a you-pull yard. They had about 10 NG9-3, one V6, the rest 2.0 of various vintages, not sure if any 2008+.

• Every 9-3 had its ECU pulled
  • All but one 9-3 had their coolant reservoirs removed. There was also one lying around loose, with its vent thingmy broken. I pulled the remaining reservoir, it held pressure when I blew into it (not much PSI, but still)
  • All 9-3 with old style headlights with the three-leg plastic latch had all their low beam bulb connedtor and wiring cannibalized (i.e. snipped and gone....maybe I did some of that on the cars that have been there longer)
  • All 9-5 (about 5) had been castrated
So I got a coolant tank with cap, RH and LH mirror glass in good condition, a hood alarm switch with intact rubber boot, a speaker connector that I will use for trying alternate speakers in the 9-3 centre speaker position, Three sets of manuals from various 9-3 and 9-5, and a windshield washer reservoir gooseneck for the 9-3. All that ran me $10. Oh well, it's a hobby. :D

5901 - 5920 of 5950 Posts