SaabCentral Forums banner

5801 - 5820 of 5833 Posts

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
@EdT Don't take any notice of mine.but there again i change my oil/filter once a year regardless of mileage,max mileage is 5-7k..
When did you changed oil last time? Your date counter starts at 730 days.
Oil quality is only calculated value.
I changed the oil in the fall of 2019 when I wasn't going to be driving it significantly over winter--probably in December.

I'm not sure how many km I've put on the car in 2020, under 10,000 for sure. Oil level is just fine. Most of my driving would count as pretty easy.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Same here. There is no long-life oil in real world.

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
like the manufactures that say no need to change g/box oil,what a load of B******ks that is..

I don't do short trips in mine either,so the oil gets nice and hot to burn off(so to speak) any contaminates produced by combustion process..

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I wrecked my 2008 93t. Looks like I bent some stuff and I am not sure if it will come out or if its part of the structure.

Hood, Bumper, and middle Grille are shot. As is the support across the middle. Those I can fix.

But I also bent the bracket like things that go over each of the headlights and are connected to the middle support. Do those come out or are they welded in and part of of the superstructure? I would like to know before I start tearing it apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I started taking it off and it looked like there were only a few welds to the frame behind the fender along with the bumper reinforcement bolted to each side. unfortunately the bumper reinforcement is also welded to that piece.

Now I am wondering if it would be better to just try to bang the metal back into place.

Otherwise I guess I can drill out the smallish welds on the 2 side pieces and pull out both along with the bumper reinforcement and then buy all new parts. problem is that I dont have the equipment or the ability to weld it back. I could use bolts to refasten it?

cutting and messing with frame stuff is not really anything I have experience with so any help or ideas is appreciated.

ugh, I hate for this car to be a total loss as it still runs fine and only has 85k miles on it. and it really doesnt seem like the damage is that bad.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
That sounds interesting how raising/lowering top confuses compass.
I am glad that I do not have compass mirror in my CV. I do have it in my XWD.
No worry, I know which zone to use and I do not raise/lower roof in my XWD. :D
We've had a stretch of convertible weather in Toronto (24º and sunny yesterday).

With top down, compass was showing correct (or close to it) SW.

Raise the top (because I'm parking it for the day) and compass flips to E.

I assume that if I calibrate it with the top up, it will again be correct....as long as the top is up.

Autodimming feature is useful, though.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I am jealous, here in Finland we have +3C and water all day. Yesterday morning it was -1C and fog, afternoon it warms up to +4C and sunny (with cold wind).
Can you try with another compass mirror?

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I am jealous, here in Finland we have +3C and water all day. Yesterday morning it was -1C and fog, afternoon it warms up to +4C and sunny (with cold wind).
Can you try with another compass mirror?
That was some record-setting weather for us. Next week, it's not convertible weather:

As for the mirror, I was lucky to find a convertible autodimming mirror in the first place. Not sure where I might find another one.

I don't know what others experience has been, but seeing the heading change just as the first bow attached to the windshield demonstrates enough for me that the mirror calibration is different top up or down. Or just ignore compass.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Auto dim mirror: 12777850. Genuine Mirror Inside for 2004-2011 Saab 9-3 | Part# 12777850 | Over 30% Off All Genuine Saab Parts & Accessories | Saab Parts Counter

Auto dim mirror with garage opener: 12777849. Saab 9-3 Convertible Rear View Mirror Auto Dimming Compass Homelink 12777849 for sale online | eBay

Auto dim mirror with garage opener and homelink: OEM Saab 9-3 or 9-5 Inside Rear View Mirror 12777848 auto dim compass homelink | eBay

Now your weather forecast looks like ours.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
The UK mirror has no compass it looks like. And $1000 for a new mirror with compass?

I got this mirror, along with CV weatherstrip, CV antenna, front lock cylinder, info/customize panel with the roof switch, and a bunch of other stuff for $30.

When I get a chance, I will calibrate mirror with top up and see if it is accurate. It does seem to work fine with top down, if it has been calibrated (automatically or on its own) with the top down.

·
Super Moderator
20,137 Posts
Because there was like 1 post a month in there. I requested the forums be consolidated when we went to the new forum software.

·
Registered
2003 9-3 2.0t Linear
1 Posts
Alright... my stupidest Question!
I bought my 2003 9-3 Linear not knowing a thing about Saab’s. Turns out the one I get seems to have the most issues (go figure). All good though, because the engine was completely rebuilt right before I got it! Buttt along with the engine being redone, I guess they switches a lot of my Linear parts with Aero Parts... Car Fax says Linear, but the two mechanics I’ve taken the car to are telling me it’s an Aero... o_O What Kind Of Car Do I Own?

·
Registered
2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertivble 5-Speed
22 Posts
Alright... my stupidest Question!
I bought my 2003 9-3 Linear not knowing a thing about Saab’s. Turns out the one I get seems to have the most issues (go figure). All good though, because the engine was completely rebuilt right before I got it! Buttt along with the engine being redone, I guess they switches a lot of my Linear parts with Aero Parts... Car Fax says Linear, but the two mechanics I’ve taken the car to are telling me it’s an Aero... o_O What Kind Of Car Do I Own?
Firstly, welcome to the Saab life!
To answer your question you can decode your VIN number to see which spec the car arrived but it seems it originated as a Linear and they upgraded it as repairing. 👍

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Mechanic can make engine to B07R during rebuilt quite easy.

I have Factory "test mule", which have all Aero equipments, but VIN says: Linear. It also have Hirsch program etc from factory.
I even checked this from ORIO and they said: Your car was modificated from Linear to Aero in final assembly.
First owner was Saab factory itself and I found computer connectors under right front seat hidden below carpet.

5801 - 5820 of 5833 Posts