SaabCentral Forums banner

5641 - 5660 of 5674 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Nice. You could probably get some stickers made in the exact size you want to cover the center cap. Like some sweet black griffin ones.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Why does Saab tie in a whole lot of things to the convertible STC, but not instrument illumination? Everything pulses brightly when I drive under a streetlamp.

With the LED illumination that Saab used in both '03+ 9-5 and NG9-3, the only sensible illumination level is absolute minimum brightness at all times. It's bright enough for the city, and rather too bright for rural driving. (NG900 with actual bulbs could throttle back illumination to an extent that you needed to be fully dark-adapted to see the speedometer. Also the illumination looked nicer to my eyes.)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Yes they did. Actually first moose tested CV was ng900.
That is reason why windshield frame (A-pillars) are so thick.
That is good. I have, without really wanting to, almost done a moose test a few times. Last time was in a Saab. I have also hit a deer, which was not good for the deer or the car. As well as the usual raccoon, rabbit, frog.

(In early spring when the thaws begin, say mid-March or so, when driving between Ottawa and Toronto on Highway 7 at night, for some reason there's a hundred kilometre stretch where the frogs are hopping on the roadway to get from one side to the other. It's impossible to miss them all, or even most of them. Regular drivers of that highway agree with the experience. It's horrible.)

Oh yeah, and grasshopers, thousands of them, in Alberta. It's all fun and games until the mass of puréed grasshopers in every crack and crevice start to stink the next day. o_O

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
How does the dash centre speaker come out? Just pry it? WIS is silent on the topic*. EPC does not show any fastener screws.

*And you have to go to 2006 MY to find out how to get at subwoofer in CV, 2004 and 2005 do not cover it.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
You have to pry the brass clips away.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
My friend "moose tested" his og 9-3 CV about 10 years ago. Moose was killed, my friend survived w/o broken bones etc. He found moose at back seat. He own nowdays 2 ng 9-3 CVs (and countless other ng 9-3s).
I have "deer tested" my previous 9000. Deer hit left side mirror, which cracked. I never found that deer (not that one in left. That one saved my life when I hit truck because highway was in mirror ice.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Dang headlights, two adjustment screws.

1. I assume that there have been many a time when the two adjustment screws weren't being turned equally. As long as they seem to be doing something, is it okay? Or should I run them to one end of their setting and then readjust to make sure they are quite equal? I've got the beam height set reasonably right now.
  2. Can the part of the adjuster that attaches to the reflector and catches the adjustment screw be removed and replaced? Without disassembling the headlamp? Old guy who sold me a "mint" headlight probably only turned the one screw, because the inner one by the high beam is broken. I have done a fix with a nylon tie that seems to work, but I'm not loving it. To be clear, the clip that catches the ball at the end of the adjustment screw is missing. If I can remove that entire assembly and replace, I'd be happy. Again, with the proviso that I don't have to try to disassemble the headlight.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
1: As long you see adjustment, it is OK.
2: Yes, but it is not separate part, so you need to find or make suitable part.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
1: As long you see adjustment, it is OK.
2: Yes, but it is not separate part, so you need to find or make suitable part.
Well, there are plenty of ruined headlights in the junkyard. I can get that adjuster clip from one of those. Any hints on how the clip comes loose from the reflector body? It's not obvious from looking into the opening for bulb replacement.

·
Registered
Formerly had 900s have a black 2005 9-3 ARC auto at present
70 Posts
Another silly one... on the 9-3, what is the turbo needle telling you?.... as in, what do the lines mean and where does actual boost start?

Obviously, when backing off down a hill, the needle swings way left... and standing on the loud pedal, the needle goes to where the green bars and red bars meet... so that is probably maximum boost (which is how many psi?)

So, are the green lines each 1# of boost? There are 12 green bars then 3 red bars.... I am assuming that actual zero boost is about the 3rd or 4th green bar (from the left) because backing off down a hill makes the needle go to about the 3rd bar... idling is about the 4th bar.... so, the 12th bar is what? 8#? The 8th bar maybe 4#? Is that about how it works?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are there any threads on requesting more torque :p From what I understand, the car tends to favor the best fuel economy... if you don't drive it hard all the time, they tend to lower the output to save fuel... can you get into the computer and tell it not to do that :poop: and rather concentrate on burning more dead dinosaurs? :cool:

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Yeah, pull fuse 2 in front of the fuse box. Some people have wired a toggle switch in to reset it back to "peppy" when it starts to feel sluggish.

Reactions: Saabastian93

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I saw a video on that... the guy put the switch in the handle the other side of the console,

I tried pulling fuse 2 and my CEL went out for about 20 minutes driving... had full boost... was awesome. But after I turned the car off the first time, I started it and the CEL was back on and the boost needle went 4 bars short again.

When you pull the fuse, you have to turn on ignition to get it to check and find the problem, then turn off the ignition and re fit the fuse? That is what I did. I mean, you cant just pull the fuse/flick the switch off, then back on without first turning on the ignition?

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
It's the fuse that powers the ECU. Flipping the switch takes away power, same as if you pulled the negative on the battery. Resets all adaptations. Of course the CEL came back, the ECU is dying, lol. Stop driving it, the overfueling will ruin your cat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to mention... tomorrow I will take a pic and post it of the cats we have from THIS week ... at my friends scrap yard .... every week we get at least a pallet a yard high full of cats of all shapes and sizes from cars going to scrap.

5641 - 5660 of 5674 Posts