SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching back to SAAB from my current BMW (had two 2.8 Aeros before) and have a few questions about upgrading the performance. Basically as soon as I get another Aero, I want to Vtune stage 0 it, then install a GS downpipe and midpipe. I do have a few questions before I do this. Will the tune work well with the new exhaust or will I have to go custom? Also, do you think I will have drone? My first Aero had a resonator and muffler delete and it droned super hard. I don't want to go through this again. I assume the downpipe will throw a CE light as well, can this be tuned out? Not worried about emissions as in Florida there is none lol. Lastly, I'm also considering upgrading the intercooler. Would this be/in what ways would this be beneficial to my car? Again I'm in Florida and it gets HOT but not sure if an intercooler is necessary. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No drone unless you delete the resonator. The exhaust works well with VTuner as I have the exact same setup. Brian can remove the O2 fault in the tune, or you can purchase a O2 spacer from eBay or the sort that moves the lower O2 sensor out of direct flow and solves the problem.

Intercooler is good, but water-methanol injection is best. If you can't find a reliable methanol source, such as a race shop or a good quality washer fluid like Camco Xtreme Blue, then regular distilled water will keep the intake air temp far lower than any front mount intercooler ever could.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,942 Posts
All great advice by Artfulkatana!

In regards to the last question, a bigger intercooler and methanol injection are beneficial because they drastically reduce the Intake Air Temp of your inlet air charge. Turbocharging compresses the air, which causes the temperature to rise significantly as well. The intercooler and/or methanol reduces that temp back down. Cooler air is denser and reduces the chance of preignition or detonation. You also get to run more total timing advance vs an unintercooled setup, bringing more power as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind replies guys. To be perfectly honest I plan on only doing an intercooler as I don't know much about meth injection and I want to keep things as little complicated as possible. Not too concerned about horsepower, just want to keep temps down a bit when it's 105F outside. As for the exhaust, so just the midpipe and downpipe will increase sound without adding drone? With this setup, would the tune automatically adjust or would I have to upgrade the tune to fit the system? Many thanks y'all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts