SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello you all, my first Q to this forum.
Introduction:
I've owned Saab's all my driving life. Two wreck 99 GL's CC 3D, one blue-metallic 900 EMS CC 5D (I loved that one!), one silver 9000i CC 5D and the current one. I'm a family man, so kids and wife also live with the car = no excessive size subwoofer boxes, keep emergency tyre IN, and be ABLE to flatten the backseats! :)

-

I've always been able to wire the microphone cable for the low-end side of the amp inside the steps of the doors or under the carpet in the middle of the car, but this 9-3 is giving me a headache...

1. As i'm assuming there's no cd-changer cable i can cut and use (No cd-changer mounted from factory), i would like to know the ways of hiding the wires from behind the radio unit to the place where the changer normally sits, as it is where i want to put the amp.
Where do i begin to dismantle the carpet sides without breaking anything?

2. The amp are going to drive a set of 500w 6*9 coax'es with 3-way output mounted in the original holes. Would it work to run these with the standard wiring, and the amp in the front instead? (This would minimize cables and problems too) I know the wire itself is a bit under recommended mm2, but do i run into interference trouble with this method?

3. Edit! But i almost forgot... Could anyone tell me where the pins on the PINK connector (back of original radio unit) that say CD IN left & right go? Where's the other end of those wires?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm, I think i just saw a changer cable...

I ripped up the lining and found a strange multiconnector that say AMP on the backside where the cable comes in. It was strapped around the antennacable. There's also a 12V always on supply (No ignition key in), and 7 more wires. GUESSING that four of them goes to the unused pink connector behind the radio.

In FIG2 i'm guessing:
Black = Ground
Red = +12V
Green = BUS ?
White = BUS ?
>space<
Red+Blue+Brown+Green = Line Level Wires from pink connector

FIG4 is a pic of the cablenest further in behind the lining on the left side, under the left 9*6 speaker..

Anyone knows what this cable is for? Is it for the changer or for an amp?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Changer cable. You can pull out your headunit and compare those wires with one in the upper connector on the back of the HU, but that's it. You can mount only factory CDC on that cable, no other will work in 9-3.
If you visit "Tech.Help" section of the forum, you'll find useful links to pages related to your problem - installing amp. To get line-out you need to cut cable from the 8-pin connector on the back of the HU and continue it with RCA or whatever is preferable to you. After I did mine, I found out that my new amp already had same 8-pin line in, so there was no need for that job but I did it anyway.
Check this out, it may help http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Audio/Preamp.html
For an amp similar to what you showed on that link, I would advise you to run power cable (with fuse) directly from the battery to the trunk or under the seat. You can run that thick wire into the car on two places - under the brake peddal or through rubber behid glove compartement (above ECU), then place it where ever you like.
You'll have to dedicate a single day (or long afternoon) to this problem to make it work properly.
Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, i do have the line level cables for free anyways. The buswires are not the same in each end, but the line levels was exactly the same wire. BTW i do not have any 8-pin connector, cos i have no extra amp for door speakers, and no doorspeakers either. The line-level wires sits in a pink... nevermind, here's a pic of it:

I ran into a setback on that (+) wire, because i have a trailer connection at the back of my car so i was assuming there was a 6mm2 (+) cable for running stuff in a camper - but it was only connected to the outlet by the hook and inside to the left backlight, and CUT there :( no large positive cable at all in the trunk. The thickest ones were the ones to the wiper, probably 8mm2.

Guess i have to mess with the bloody carpets after all. :)

I also found a rubber bussing(?) in the outermost left back corner of the trunk with two holes and lids for them, the antenna drain was connected to one of them, guessing these only go to the outdoors under the car and are NOT pipes for new cables. (Sorry 'bout my spelling, i'm not fantastic at technical english terms...)

·
Registered
591 Posts
That pink looks like a top connector (of three) on the back of HU. If I remember well, wires in it are only related to CDC signal, BUS and TEL, nothing to do with preamp signal. BUS wires are green and white - E-BUS1 & E-BUS2. OK, you don't have 8-pin cable, but there should be 8-pin connector (preamp output) at the back... don't tell me they made different HU's for those to be fitted with factory amp and those without. You can make that cable, but I know I saw 8-pin=4xRCA in a well supplied store, you can find it probably.
Running a new thick cable for amp's power supply is probably best solution... I know, carpets and stuff, I did it in the middle of January on -5 outside, look at the bright side it's August now... even in Sweden!;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you're not entirely right. The 4 top wires on the photo (black+white+green+red) are indeed bus & tel, but the 4 bottom wires (blue+green+red+grey/brown) say 'CD IN' (left + ground, right + ground) on the head unit, where the connector fits, and i've measured the wires to be the exact four wires back in the changer cable in the trunk. They also give no current to ground while ignition key is in ON position - all the other 4 top strangers give about 2,5 Volts to ground, so i will definately NOT mess with them.

No, hehe, the original HU is not changed - i do have the 8pin connector on the back of it, but i use a standard DIN stereo that plays mp3'cds and memory cards. It's fitted with saab original DIN size change kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you did ;) I'm easily confused by all these abbreviations used all the time. CDC didn't come clear as CD Changer in my head at the time of writing, sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts