SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2002 9-5 Aero from a reliable independent dealer and I am now a bit concerned. It supposedly had a recent oil change. Everything runs fine, no smoke or warnings from the sid display, but when I checked the engine oil, it seemed to be a bit darker than usual and it did not look particularly clean. I know about the oil sludge problem but the car has relatively low miles (35k) and the carfax reports checks out cleanly, though being the 3rd owner, I do not have it's service history. My questions are 1. Should I be worried? 2. If there is a sludge problem, will the remaining warranty cover the repairs? 3. Should I take it to the dealer or an independent repair shop?

Please help me guys. I just spent $20k and I am praying that I have no major problems.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kermits 9-5 said:
Just for your piece of mind, i'd personally use a good quality engine flush (let the engine idle for 15 minutes, or take a quick spin around the block), and then replace the filter (always use Saab OE filters) and replace the oil with a fully synthetic 0W-30 or 0W-40 (Mobil 1 or Saabs own "gold top" oil are favourites). If you get a shop to do the work, make sure they don't suck the engine oil out, let the oil run out of the pan via gravity, and make sure they use a new washer on the sump plug. Check the PCV pipework as well, its relatively cheap to replace and will allow you get some sleep at night!! :roll: :cheesy:

Yeah, I'm going to get my engine flushed out this week. I checked the pcv tube when the car was warm and it was a little squishy not very squishy (normal?), not really hard. Um, the oil was still a medium brown color with a little residue, not black, so that eased my mind a little bit. Hopefully Raven's right about the engine being young and not to worry. Will the car still be safe to drive a short distance for now before the flush?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So in other words, don't lose sleep over it and get the engine flushed and the oil changed this week. Then keep regular oil changes at 3k and don't worry about it. Right?

Well raven, that makes me feel a lot better ;) .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.