SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 9-5 Aero from a reliable independent dealer and I am now a bit concerned. It supposedly had a recent oil change. Everything runs fine, no smoke or warnings from the sid display, but when I checked the engine oil, it seemed to be a bit darker than usual and it did not look particularly clean. I know about the oil sludge problem but the car has relatively low miles (35k) and the carfax reports checks out cleanly, though being the 3rd owner, I do not have it's service history. My questions are 1. Should I be worried? 2. If there is a sludge problem, will the remaining warranty cover the repairs? 3. Should I take it to the dealer or an independent repair shop?

Please help me guys. I just spent $20k and I am praying that I have no major problems.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I mean by not particularly clean, there seems to be a bit of residue. Damn, I'm going to lose sleep over this...

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
1. maybe, check your PCV hoses for squishyness.
2. Odds are no, though saab has extended the warranty on the engine because of the sludgin problem it's nearly impossible to get them to own up. Without a service history you're **** outa luck.
3. Your choice, I prefer a trusted mechanic personally.

If you're worried about the oil being dirtier than it should be, just change it. Fully synthetic oil only, most of us like Mobil 1. I doubt you're gonna have sludge problems this early in the engines life though.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Just for your piece of mind, i'd personally use a good quality engine flush (let the engine idle for 15 minutes, or take a quick spin around the block), and then replace the filter (always use Saab OE filters) and replace the oil with a fully synthetic 0W-30 or 0W-40 (Mobil 1 or Saabs own "gold top" oil are favourites). If you get a shop to do the work, make sure they don't suck the engine oil out, let the oil run out of the pan via gravity, and make sure they use a new washer on the sump plug. Check the PCV pipework as well, its relatively cheap to replace and will allow you get some sleep at night!! :roll: :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
My oil is changed "very" regularly and I use a flush, however its "looks" dirty quite quick, however it feels fine, old oil seems to get very thin :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I've heard this quite a bit, but why only Saab filters? :confused:
Because you can be sure they are of the correct specification and quality for your car, and as an added bonus, they're a nice price.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If i remember rightly, there's an extra hole on the mounting face that pattern filters don't have, what its there for i don't know, but Saab obviously put it there for a reason. Besides the OE filters are dirt cheap so there's no excuse not to use them. :cool:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
May I ask where you guys are getting these dirt cheap?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kermits 9-5 said:
Just for your piece of mind, i'd personally use a good quality engine flush (let the engine idle for 15 minutes, or take a quick spin around the block), and then replace the filter (always use Saab OE filters) and replace the oil with a fully synthetic 0W-30 or 0W-40 (Mobil 1 or Saabs own "gold top" oil are favourites). If you get a shop to do the work, make sure they don't suck the engine oil out, let the oil run out of the pan via gravity, and make sure they use a new washer on the sump plug. Check the PCV pipework as well, its relatively cheap to replace and will allow you get some sleep at night!! :roll: :cheesy:

Yeah, I'm going to get my engine flushed out this week. I checked the pcv tube when the car was warm and it was a little squishy not very squishy (normal?), not really hard. Um, the oil was still a medium brown color with a little residue, not black, so that eased my mind a little bit. Hopefully Raven's right about the engine being young and not to worry. Will the car still be safe to drive a short distance for now before the flush?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Oh yeah, death by sludging takes a looooong time. If the oil light comes on, STOP! Not that I think it will, but you don't mess around with the light of death. ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So in other words, don't lose sleep over it and get the engine flushed and the oil changed this week. Then keep regular oil changes at 3k and don't worry about it. Right?

Well raven, that makes me feel a lot better ;) .

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If you can squeeze the PCV pipework i'd suggest you get that changed as well, it should be solid to the touch. Don't panic though, it does'nt mean your engine's gonna sludge up imminently , its just a preventative measure. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can get the Saab OE filters through genuinesaab.com, one of the site sponsors. Show up at your door step. Doesn't get any better than that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts