SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 03 9-5 Linear. I need to change the brakes and searched but coudn't find the answers to my satisfaction. Here are my questions:

1) What kind of socket do I need to remove the brake pad carriers? They're not the typical six sided bolts.

2) Is there a specific method for compressing the caliper piston? Can I just use a C-clamp?

I'll be replacing the rotors with Brembo OEM quality rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads. Haven't decided yet if I want to go with Goodridge stainless brake lines yet, but probably will. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
To remove the brake discs and pads you will need:

Tools:
7mm allen key/socket (for caliper slider bolts)
17mm socket (for wheels)
18mm socket (for caliper carrier bolts)
T30 torx (for disc retaining screw)

Try not to chew the T30 screw up and brake cleaner is normally fairly good for cleaning brakes down.

Use coppaslip/ease whatever you want to call it, on re-assembly on mating faces of pads and caliper to caliper carrier, obviously NOT on the pad face... (i've seen it done!)

Also before pushing the caliper piston back, loosen reservoir cap, and wrap some disposable absorbant rag around the neck to soak up any excess brake fluid... don't let it get near the paintwork!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I used a allen key for the rotor screw - was 3 or 4 mm.

Someone sugested using "anti-seize" on the screw and the inside hat or contact surface area of the new rotor to make the next round easier !

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
first-saab said:
Someone sugested using "anti-seize" on the screw and the inside hat or contact surface area of the new rotor to make the next round easier !
My old boss used to put lithium grease on everything he'd potentially have to take apart again. Where the rotor meets the hub, wheel lugs, even the wheels some times. Come to think of it, I need to get a can of that myself.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
What model year is your car, cause my '01 has regular ol bolt heads. :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Mine had the torx type:

The disc retaining screw. Torx is sometimes called star drive, T30 being the size.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts