SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was installing rear motor mount in my '02 vert 96k I noticed a big lump of grease on the subframe directly below the passenger side inner axle boot. I can't seem to find a crack or hole in the inner boot but that may be immaterial. I have gone through the WIS to see how to R&R the axle. I can do it myself. Question is do I buy just the boot kit, new axle, since it hemorrhaged most of the grease does it need rebuilt. The boots at eeuro are really expensive for the genuine Saab. Is this money well spent or just overcharge. I don't mind paying if its worth it. Thanks in advance. If it were not from the experts on this forum I would not be able to afford to drive this awesome car. I have saved so much money in labor I don't have to justify any part purchases with my wife. She just says "whatever you need ".

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I'd just replace the whole axle with a remanufactured one from an auto parts store. Most of them can get you one for around $50. Stay away from the new ones. They're Chinese-made junk and will fail quickly. I've rebuilt a couple of axles, and it's messy work, especially if you need to replace the outer boot. The inner one isn't as bad, since you just need a puller instead of releasing a tiny circlip at the same time you pull just right on the CV joint. I had one inner joint that started to come apart where the two metal parts that make up the inner driver were crimped together. I never saw a split in the boot, since there wasn't one, but I'd periodically find lumps of weird blue-colored grease splattered on the subframe and alternator. It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
If you pull it out and it's clean in there i.e. just losing grease, not gaining dirt, you could just replace the boot. The inner joint is fairly simple. You won't know until you take it out through as you have to give it a visual inspection. Also check the companion shaft for wear. The clamp on that side is a real PITA but you have to do that whether you replace just the boot or the whole axle.

In line with what Jeremy said about axles... but if I had one that was good and just had a bad boot, I'd replace the boot. It's not going to save you a lot of money over a "rebuilt" one, but I went through four rebuilt ones at the various autoparts stores around here (all Cardone, just relabeled) before I found one that was usable. They don't really rebuild them, they just clean, grease, and re-boot them. Most of them are junk IME.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies Jeremy and Bob! I read through the threads about ordering axles in to chain stores and having to send them back. What a hassle! Even possibly more so for a newbie car mech that doesn't know the part is sub par. The ero place has a passenger side axle for $48. Says Made in America, 1 year warranty. Can I pay 60 and get a decent part that will last longer than a year? Huh? 'murica?;oops: Ok, I will hope for the best and just order the boot and a new axle nut. The axle that is in there is quiet and has lasted 15 years and 9x,xxx miles. 1 year warranty:roll:.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Eeuroparts has been listing a lot of parts lately as being made in the US, but I can pretty much guarantee that they're not. I'm sure that axle you were looking at was made in China. I'm going both ways on the 9-5 that I'm currently repairing. The right axle's inner boot was completely torn and the joint was trashed, so that side is getting a rebuilt axle from NAPA. The driver's side was fine, but the inner boot was starting to crack, so I put a new boot on that one and repacked the grease. One thing I noticed was that Saab calls for a ton of grease in the inner joints. It's about twice the amount that comes in a standard CV grease package. I used two entire tubes of Lubro Moly high pressure grease. It was about $3 a tube at NAPA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just out under the car cleaning around the inner boot and I cant find a leak or tear in the boot. There is still grease inside but its not even close to filled. Is it possible that I squished the grease out when i changed the motor mounts? I had to jack the motor up a ways to get the rear mount in

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
The grease should not ever come out if the boot is properly installed.

You might want to do a serious cleaning with an engine cleaner until everything is dry of oil... then watch to see where it shows up first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts