SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I wanted to ask you all a question. When you guys start your car, does it start up nice and smooth or does it kind of jolt the car and shake the steering wheel? For some reason, everytime I start my car right when the engine starts, it shakes the steering wheel kinda violently for about half a second and then everything is smooth. There are no drivability problems or anything, as this only happens while I'm operating the starter and the engine just cranks up. I think this has been happening for a long time so I dont think its anything serious, at least thats what i hope. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
TigerSilhouette said:
Hi everybody

I wanted to ask you all a question. When you guys start your car, does it start up nice and smooth or does it kind of jolt the car and shake the steering wheel? For some reason, everytime I start my car right when the engine starts, it shakes the steering wheel kinda violently for about half a second and then everything is smooth. There are no drivability problems or anything, as this only happens while I'm operating the starter and the engine just cranks up. I think this has been happening for a long time so I dont think its anything serious, at least thats what i hope. Thanks!
I would almost want to agree with you, but when you use the word "violently" I kind of think that this is not the case with my car. I would say that when I crank up my car the steering wheel vibrates little bit harder than when the car is running. However, the steering wheel does not vibrate hard enough to cause me to pay attention to it. Until you mentioned your situation, I had not though about it.

Hope this gives you a sense of comparison.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I was asked a similar question by a friend of mine recently about the engine starting; whether or not the engine gives a little jolt once the engine catches, I said yes, mine does that too. I would also phrase the feeling I get in my steering wheel as a quick jolt, not a violent shake, but a jolt that I can feel in my hand (and even perhaps creates a small squeak in my dash). Perhaps using the word violent was a bit harsh?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh thanks guys for all the replies. And yes, I suppose violent is a bit too harsh to describe it. I thought maybe something as really loose or something,but it appears it another quirky saab trait. thanks again!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I would describe my car as "popping" to life. I mostly notice it in hearing the shifter release out of reverse..that makes a popping sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts