SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals) I am hoping ya'll can help me out with a decision I'm trying to make since when doing my own research I get answers all over the place and I really don't want to get into the wrong vehicle.

So currently I own a 2007 9-3 Aero Convertible and it's my dream car and it's awesome and I'm not gonna get into specifics but I'm basically looking to buy another 2007 exactly the same (which is proving difficult just finding one for sale). I really really love the body style and that specific interior. Problem is that my bank is twisting my arm on wanting something 2010 or newer.

How does the 2009+ convertibles stack up against the 07? I mean it's always been my impression that post-GM breakup they were a little worse for wear in the reliability department is this true? It's complicated but if I get in a different car even it it's a 2010 I would be lowering my payments and not carrying negative equity so is it worth it, or should I stick with my 07 even if I"m paying $70+/mo?

·
Premium Member
20,436 Posts
They dropped the V6 after 2009, so it went back to the way it was in 2005 and older, all 4 pots. Then there's the whole intake valve issue. Seems rare in 2009 and I don't think there are any 2010s, but the pool of cars in those years was shrinking so less data.

If you're ok going form V6 to 2.0T the Aero is still a nice car. Not readily available as you can see.

Also, body parts are harder to find on the updated exterior in 2008.

·
Premium Member
20,436 Posts
Also, I think 2010 Aeros are XWD only? I may be wrong about that. If so, and you don't want it (or need there in the south) you are looking at 2011 only. Pool just super shrank on you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks guys for answering so quickly. I had completely forgotten about the intake valve issue. There's no way I'm going 2.0T unfortunately (even though I loved my 2.0 9-3 when I had it). So it probably would be between a 2007,2008, or 2009 I guess. Out of those which had the fewest problems and then I have to find one with the two-toned interior that isn't grey :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,436 Posts
I'd say they are all equally reliable/unreliable. It all comes down to what you can find and if you like the exterior changes made in 2008. Then also if the bank will finance. Good luck.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if you stick with the V6 engine, then there really isn't too much difference at all between the newer ones in terms of reliability. Only difference which I am sure you know is 2007, has a different exterior design than 2008+. Some people like the older style some newer. Saab/GM never really had the money to update these cars past the facelift in 2008 & the dash update in 2007. So you will find most of the car is the same in 2007+ mechanically and the only exception is the body pieces changed in 2008 (mostly front end items).

If you do end up with a 2.0T engine, be aware of possible valve issues in cold weather and that is has a potential to be needing a fix down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.