·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the performance data on the Hirsch site

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/motor_e.htm

They claim 0-60 times for stock 9-3 2.0T as the following:
7.5s/9.0s for manual/automatic

However, after upgrading to either the 230HP or the 252HP version, the times improve to the following:

230 HP
6.9s/7.1s manual/automatic

252 HP
6.5s/6.6s manual/automatic

I find it very hard to believe that the 210 HP automatic takes 9 seconds to go from 0-60. Do you suppose that 9.0 seconds is really supposed to be 8.0s? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would think that the 9.0 seconds would have to be off. Unless, does the upgrade also alter the auto shift patterns? Still seems hard to believe since the other numbers after the modification are so close between the manual and the automatic.

In the way older days, the full pressure turbo Saab 9000s with the manuals put down more maximum torque than those with the automatic. I don't think that that's the case with the 9-3SS though, since it doesn't spec different output numbers for each transmission.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
rja said:
I find it very hard to believe that the 210 HP automatic takes 9 seconds to go from 0-60. Do you suppose that 9.0 seconds is really supposed to be 8.0s? Any thoughts?
Thanks.
The Saab UK website shows the auto cars to be around 1.2s slower to 60 than the manuals. With that in mind, then 9.0s would not seem far off. Not exactly sporting though is it.....

I really think that the Aero should be 1 second quicker that it is as a manual anyhow. I am really glad I didn't get the auto. I expect that Hirsch must have changed the shift programming to achieve such similar times.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aero_adam said:
I expect that Hirsch must have changed the shift
programming to achieve such similar times.
I suspect you are right. I have an automatic and from 0-15 mph it is painfully slow. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if I could post better 0-15 mph times on foot than in my car!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
rja said:
I suspect you are right. I have an automatic and from 0-15 mph it is painfully slow. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if I could post better 0-15 mph times on foot than in my car!
I thought someone confirmed before that these ECM upgrades do NOT affect shift points. Those would be controlled by the TCM, or whatever Saab calls the TCM.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rja said:
According to the performance data on the Hirsch site

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/motor_e.htm

They claim 0-60 times for stock 9-3 2.0T as the following:
7.5s/9.0s for manual/automatic

However, after upgrading to either the 230HP or the 252HP version, the times improve to the following:

230 HP
6.9s/7.1s manual/automatic

252 HP
6.5s/6.6s manual/automatic

Thanks.
I thought 8.1 for the auto, but I could be wrong...since I can't recall where I saw that statistic.

Out of curiousity though, have you or do you know of a US vendor for Hirsch products?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rip Van Winkle said:
Out of curiousity though, have you or do you know of a US vendor for Hirsch products?
Nope. But I vaguely remember receiving an email from Saab about Hirsch upgrades....I will try to dig that up and see if it mentions anything.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Aero_adam said:
I am really glad I didn't get the auto. I expect that Hirsch must have changed the shift programming to achieve such similar times.
I have one - the paddles are much quicker (I keep intending to try to time the 0-60) - I read that the auto is rev limited in the lower gears and it seems to shift slightly early, thus missing some of the torque at the higher revs...this actually makes sense...you wouldn't want the auto nearly redlining when it shifts under heavy throttle under the factory settings...with the paddles, I have had her all the way upto the redline.

I'm quite interested in a stg1 upgrade, but warranty or no warranty, the potential effects on the longevity of the transmission worry me :eek:

Theres a video of the auto at this thread

http://www.saabscene.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/23/1222.html#000000

With the the video (Nordic tuning) by a guy called Sask

http://ftp.nordictuning.com/src/movies/saab_9-3_ss_aero_aut_org_acc.wmv

Its pretty clear the auto changes quite early in M1 (for some reason it doesn't have the 210 rating tho).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts