SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a really nice light metallic green 9-3 hatchback but having 2 issues.

The car was blowing white smoke when I brought it home luckily the mech picked up and fixed it. The problem the brake booster was leaking into the exhaust manifold.

Now I have brake fluid once again leaking all over the rear of the engine compartment. The heat shield made of whatever soft woven material is soaked with brake fluid!

Can someone tell me if this is the brake booster again? You know the large round cylinder sticking out of the firewall drivers side. Not sure if thats a correct term.

Second when I am on the hwy turning to the left the steering wheel will vibrate the higher the speed the more vibration. Car has brand new tires and good rims. Any feedback would be valuable to me.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Is your car an auto?
Not sure how the BB can leak into the exhaust manifold, maybe you mean intake?
If there is fluid all over then I take it you have to add fluid all the time. Your best bet is to clean said fluid then find where its leaking from, I doubt it's the BB, could be a loose abs line, could be seals from reservoir to master, etc.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
That’s not typical vibration if it’s only when turning one way. I’d be thinking wheel bearing but wait to hear what the rest of the crowd has to say. I’d also be somewhat concerned about driving the car since that’s not usual... inspect the front end or have a mechanic do it if you are not qualified. Make sure there’s no danger.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your car an auto?
Not sure how the BB can leak into the exhaust manifold, maybe you mean intake?
If there is fluid all over then I take it you have to add fluid all the time. Your best bet is to clean said fluid then find where its leaking from, I doubt it's the BB, could be a loose abs line, could be seals from reservoir to master, etc.
Your correct the fluid/oil was leaking into the intake and burning off in a cloud of smoke.

This was supposedly fixed and I dont see the smoke but as mentioned there is a leak of brake fluid and the reservoir is not slightly above minimum.

Before I contact the mech who sold the car to me I just want to perhaps suggest how the problem be fixed. Overall the car runs like a top. Its a really fun car to drive not as lavish as my ex-9-5 but spunkier by far.

RE: the wheel vibrating on turns. I am also suspicious of a wheel gearing but there is zero noise coming from the front end i.e. whines or scraping sounds so I am sort of perplexed.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Does the vibration persist if you ride the brakes? Are they name-brand tires or cheap no-names? Did an alignment accompany the new tires?

A liquid brake fluid leak should be easy to spot. I can't help but wonder if when the mechanic replaced the brake master cylinder he did a bad job of reinstalling the reservoir, or re-used old grommets.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well good and bad news. This morning started the car and I could hear power steering pump squealing which is indicative of low fluid in the pump.

I checked the ps reservoir and it was scant on power steering fluid so I guess the mystery fluid wasn't brake fluid but power steering fluid. Took it to a local mech says its the high pressure line fun-time with mister credit card!

Re: the tire vibration the tires are American made not sure the brand I think they are Coopers and yes the steering wheel sometime vibrates when braking but not all the time. The new tires where balanced and the car drives straight so I didnt need an alignment.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
If its the line that runs under the radiator at the front, last time I bought some of those they were about $3 a piece including shipping and took about 45 minutes to install. While that is the common one to leak it wouldn't be the one to leak on the back side of the engine near the brake booster. Normally what happens there is its the return line to the reservoir that leaks at the fitting near the rack, the end of the hose goes hard and crack. I just cut an inch off the end, use a new hose clamp tighten it down and it is normally fine.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Re: the tire vibration the tires are American made not sure the brand I think they are Coopers and yes the steering wheel sometime vibrates when braking but not all the time. The new tires where balanced and the car drives straight so I didnt need an alignment.

Drives straight isn't the same as doesn't need an alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts