SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Long time reader, first time posting. Just bought my new car, a 07 93 Aero that already had the nav package installed and I'm getting it next Thursday (15th).

I was reading on the "limited" coverage of the navigation maps outside of the major urban areas in Canada. Are there some fellow Canucks that can help me adjust my expectations on how limited is limited ?

for example driving the 401 between Montreal and Toronto is no man's land ? Is there street-level detail on the maps in suburbia ?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I drove from Detroit, to Kitchener, to Toronto and then on to Montreal on the 401 - maps seemed just as detailed as the US and had street level detail everywhere I went. Worked great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same GPS (2007 car but 2005 gps version), You will get all (or nearly) the road with the street and town name before the town merge in 2006. So you need to know the name and town of where you want to go before the merge to go at the right place. The other BIG limitation is: the gps will find the road you want in the destination menu but it is not able to get you there, it will get you close (under 1km) and after that the laddy in the gps will tell you that the information are not accurate to go at the destination so please use the sreen and the point in the sreen to get at the destination...
I place many complain at my saab dealer and gm website to have the 2007 version (the new 2008 model still have the 2005 version), they tell me that as soon as the new version arrive they will contact me.
For now I prefer my small nextar canadiantire portable gps (200$)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a bigger question.
your NAV units work?
8 weeks and they still cant fix mine.
I just drive around lost all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pasprobe & pasprobe: thanks for the information. The Saab canada web site makes this disclaimer so I just wanted to get a good opinion. So it's not as bad as I thought. :cool: A little surprised to hear the navigation data on the disc is date circa 2005; so that means that streets newer than that won't be there.

So if the data dvd for the nav hasn't been updated since 2005, what's the 2 nav updates for the first and second year of ownership all about ? They send you the same dvd again in the mail ?

platypus: I'll be able to answer you next Thursday. Getting anxious now :D

Thanks for information.

Posession of '07 93 Aero countdown: 9 days :cheesy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
PLatipus: yes my gps work, I can trust it even if it don't tell me every directions where I want to go (not true for every destination, maybe 25% the remaining destination are really accurate). But I can always see the dot in the screen of where I want to go.

morpheus14 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1092517", true); : I live in sherbrooke and almost every street are there so I don't really know where is the limited" coverage of the navigation maps outside of the major urban areas in Canada.
Are you getting a manual or automatic?
If you get a manual, I need to see you (if you want) to compare my big exhaust problem. I have a stupid deep engine sound around 1700 and 2600 rpm and the dealer doesn't want to help. So I need another aero M to compare if this sound is in all aero M. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
platypus said:
I have a bigger question.
your NAV units work?
8 weeks and they still cant fix mine.
I just drive around lost all the time.
Has been flawless, although I want a newer map disc. Time to call the dealer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
cddakin said:
Has been flawless, although I want a newer map disc. Time to call the dealer.
yeah, I dropped it off for the 3rd time last night, since my whole audio system and screen are completely dead.
I would love to be able to see how the NAV works and play with the audio, etc.
I have had the car for 9 weeks and have driven for 5000 miles with no nav and limited audio until 2 weeks ago when it became worm food.
I am not happy it is a total failure, but at least hearing other people like their NAVs gets me excited that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts