SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a kid i know has a 2003 9-3 and he was trying to tell me he was going to run 19 psi on the stock ECU..i kno on my car('99 9-3) that on the stock ECU you cant go that high without hitting fuel cut..Will he really be able to have 19 psi or is he dreaming?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Let him go ahead and do whatever it is he wants to do.
The Trionic 8 system is so sensitive that he'll very likely make the thing throw a fit and end up with a very angry car.
Use that time to point and laugh.:lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright good..i was on the phone with someone and he got on there running his mouth that he wanted to race me and that he was running 19 psi..i told him right then that he didnt have 19 and he was like well maybe not 19 but but its close... so i didnt kno what to say because i didnt know what these cars have for fuel cuts...

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you search around here, some people do adjust the pressure on the stock turbos without using the PPC. I believe with the bsr ppc on the 2.0T, the max boost is set much higher than the stock 12.3 psi for the mitsubushi turbo.

I'm not sure which model 2003 he has (linear, arc, or vector) but the linears come with a smaller garrett turbo with less stock maximum boost than the arc or vector.

BUT bottom line is, if you are not familar with the car and not 100% sure of what you are doing, there can be adverse consequences with adjusting the pressure on the turbos....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Take it from me.

I've done just about any non-programmable work on my car that I can do. And none of it increases boost or power. I think the best gain I got was getting new plugs and gapping them to 0.04" :/ and even that was only like a tenth of a second!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
kay310 said:
ok so how much boost can we play around with until the ecm goes nuttz?
Not at all. Once T8 (the engine management system) decides you are outside parameters it will adjust other parameters to compensate.
BSR Stage 1 engine remap is the usual starting point.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
And even if you could get in some more boost, like leaking pressure (I tried it), you're still not going to get any gains, even if you are pushing 1.0bar. Throttle is electronically controlled, so if it can't adjust boost, it will adjust throttle. The car is against you, it will do anything it can to run stock.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The system is designed to run rich under load. If you add more air mass (by increasing boost) you will get to the point where the ECM cannot inject enough fuel. At that point it throws an error. It actually tries to find ways to limit the air mass before it ever gets to that point.

You can conceivably fool the ECM in certain ways which will allow you to run lean under load, but this risks serious engine damage.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
ctrlz said:
The system is designed to run rich under load. If you add more air mass (by increasing boost) you will get to the point where the ECM cannot inject enough fuel. At that point it throws an error. It actually tries to find ways to limit the air mass before it ever gets to that point.

You can conceivably fool the ECM in certain ways which will allow you to run lean under load, but this risks serious engine damage.
Nothing i have been able to do has fooled the ecu to do anything. I have adjusted the actuator, tried a manual boost controller, plainly leaked vacuum pressure, mixed fuel, changed intakes, that is pretty much it. Nothing yielded any positive results at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so since you need a performance ecm (bsr/maptun, etc.) to get more power/boost...is it still a "no no" to up the boost with the ecm? if not then i might as well sell the manual boost controller and get the stage 3(bsr/maptun) one time...dont u think??

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh the new ECM will add tons more boost. The thing is you can't do it yourself. Anything you try and do without tuning the ECU, won't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frosty288 said:
Oh the new ECM will add tons more boost. The thing is you can't do it yourself. Anything you try and do without tuning the ECU, won't work.
Ok thanks for the info...So if i get let say bsr stage1...do i have to retune the ecm if i want to upgrade to a stage3? or i can just get the stage1 and put full exhaust, injectors and etc. without buying the stage3??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes to both questions.
but you won't get the best performance out of the 2nd option. though you might increase running efficiency and heat control.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
kay310 said:
or i can just get the stage1 and put full exhaust, injectors and etc. without buying the stage3??
If you change injectors your fuel metering will all be overrich. You have to have proper ECM programming if you change injectors.

·
Banned
631 Posts
anytime when you change anything that affects fuel or air. You need to "flash" the computer.

Its not as simple as adding injectors and call it a day. doesnt work like that.
The ECU is programmed to how it was set.

Thats why flashing is always involved.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The T8 doesn't work like the T7 in terms of timing the duration the injector is open during close loop.

In open loop, WOT, it'll run rich with bigger injectors.

but its a risk most people won't take.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts