SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a set of mounted wheels/tires.
Going across country.
Anyone have recent experience shipping?
How do you keep the rims from being damaged? (Tire rack does it all the time right?!?)
Best shipping vendors? Approximate cost?

I appreciate any info the community can give me!

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts
Best way is UPS or FedEx. Place cardboard over both sides of wheel, then tape like crazy and ship like that. Done it several times.

Like this but replace the straps with packing tape:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Been googling for some info.
Found www.howtoshipwheels.com
Looking at greyhound shipping as well as ups and fedex ground.
Www.uship.com and www.shipnex.com

Nothing is very clear. You would think shipping wheels would be pretty straightforward these days, but none of the shippers seem to cover it.
Have to put dimensions and weight in and guess if you’ll get hit with extra charges for not being *in a box*

Found some corvette and bmw forums with some good info.

So far, looks like possibly $170-$300..... Not sure if I trust the web-quotes though

Plus maybe $60-$75 in packing if you don’t have it.

I can see why many give up on shipping as cost prohibitive.

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts
$60-75 in packaging??? What? Just some pieces of cardboard and packing tape.

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Wrap them up like I said, drive them to a UPS or FedEx store, pay for shipping, done. It will cost less than you think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. For me the packing material is no big deal.
But I’m buying not shipping. Not sure if the seller has access or needs to buy everything from scratch. I’ll determine that shortly. He wasn’t planning on shipping.

I do appreciate the reassurance. I hope you’re right! (I do trust your input) I really want these wheels but can’t put $200 into shipping them.

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts
Agreed. For me the packing material is no big deal.
But I’m buying not shipping. Not sure if the seller has access or needs to buy everything from scratch. I’ll determine that shortly. He wasn’t planning on shipping.

I do appreciate the reassurance. I hope you’re right! (I do trust your input) I really want these wheels but can’t put $200 into shipping them.
Oh gotcha, sounded like you were shipping

1 - 6 of 6 Posts