SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I do not own a Saab, but considering buying a 2005 9-3 Aero. I test drove it and I like it a lot. I am also considering the CTS, the G35, the Legend 2.5 GT LTD, the Evo and the STI. I know that the Evo and the STI are in a different performance category, but I still like the Aero. My question to you owners is, would you recommend the car? I have been reading some of the threads on this forum and it seams to me that the car has a lot of problems and is not too reliable. Is this true? What are the issues that people have had with this model? Are there still electrical problems? How are the mechanics? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate this. I just don’t want to spend a lot of money and then regret buying it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As with any brand (even the Japanese) there wil be some problems. People on forums speak out about problems. As a general rule the ppl who are happy with a product or service do not tell anybody.

Check out the NHTSA website and you will see that every brand and model has a complaint.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

In the end you will have to make the decision.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm very happy with my '04 Aero.

I've had only two problems thus far - an intermittent OnStar issue (fixed), and a slow oil consumption. Based on what I'm seeing in the forum, I expect the oil consumption to go away in the next 6 months or so (15K miles on the odo since Jul 04).

I've enjoyed learning from others in the forum, playing with doing several upgrades myself, and contributing here & there as appropriate. This is the best auto forum I've run across, and you'll find genuine assistance and guidance here if you choose to drive a Saab.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 2003 with 23k miles. I have had no problems of that were not self induced: broke the ashtray, twice broken the cupholder, and blew out amp2 by spiking the line.

Oh yes, the drivers door lock electronics did jam up; was a 30 minute repair.

·
Registered
84 Posts
some people complain of some rattles (myself included), but every car has its weak points. Otherwise, I love the drive of the car and its look. It's fairly efficient also, in terms of MPG as such (highway is very good, CITY streets could be better, could be worse).

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The 9³ is very reliable. If you are talking about rattles and such. Then thats a different issue. It seems the majority of the 05 owners on here are happy. You are going to have rattle problems with the Evo and STI for sure. Those two cars are full of cheap plastic.

As others have said. Test drive every one of those cars. Then buy the car that you liked the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2003 with 21K and continue to absolutely love driving my car. I have had very few problems overall. Sure the sound system could have been a little better and I have ordered a new set of tires after 20K, but the car is a blast to drive, still looks good, and I wouldn't trade it for any of the BMW 3 series cars that my friends all have. As a US military member living in Germany, everyone gets a BMW over here because of the savings. I saved more getting the SAAB and like it better. I recommend getting the manual transmission though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There have been very few of us that have had mechanical problems with the powertrain. Most of the problems have been software or build quality issues. That being said I can not recommend you get a 93. I do not recommend that anyone get a saab with all of the problems that I have had and many other people here have had. For the price of these cars you would think that Saab would of build a solid car, not a rattle box that has to go into service every 3-4 months for another minor problem.

The big question is what do you want in a car. If you want raw power and to go fast get the EVO/STI. If you want power and a little style and luxury get the G35 (coupe, the sedan is ugly) and if you want a sedan the CTS is a great car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jerry03Arc said:
There have been very few of us that have had mechanical problems with the powertrain. Most of the problems have been software or build quality issues. That being said I can not recommend you get a 93. I do not recommend that anyone get a saab with all of the problems that I have had and many other people here have had. For the price of these cars you would think that Saab would of build a solid car, not a rattle box that has to go into service every 3-4 months for another minor problem.

The big question is what do you want in a car. If you want raw power and to go fast get the EVO/STI. If you want power and a little style and luxury get the G35 (coupe, the sedan is ugly) and if you want a sedan the CTS is a great car.
Clearly, some SAABs like their owners better than others... I stongly recommend you get the SAAB!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had a 03 Linear for close to a year before GM bought it back , have had

my 04 for 6 months, still the same problems. I would not recommend one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2003 Aero.

Ok the buzz from the doors needed fixing, and the other day the remotes stopped working, but the dealer has been very good getting it all fixed, so no complaints and it's a great fun car to drive.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have an 03 Vector and also love it. Have one issue with the auto trans slipping but the part is on order and will be fixed shortly. A lot of people also complain about the 300 watt stereo but I actually love it and would not change a thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just bought the '05 linear, same damn thing only less power and neat features. I LOVE the car. Also looked at the Acura TSX, and subaru outback (in terms of sedans, checked out some SUV's as well).

Subarus are great for their AWD, but other than that, their cars don't impess me much. Saabs have look and safety appeal over any subaru, and despite not having AWD, they hold their own in handling.

Acura was nice, and I almost bought it, but the saab just fit my lifestyle better. They're AMAZING in the snow, which is key for me here in New England.

My family has had a saab ('89 900, '94 9000, '02 9-3 vert) forever, and we've NEVER had any problems with them until about 6 years into having the cars (which you'll get with anything). The dealers made the fixes when needed, and the cars ran like they did the first day.

Go with the saab.

·
Registered
846 Posts
finwake said:
Clearly, some SAABs like their owners better than others... I stongly recommend you get the SAAB!

Ditto! The Saab is built like a tank. The sense of saftey and security is very strong. The car is a blast to drive, and you just dont see one everywhere you go.

Rattles? Most easily fixed (if you still have them in your '05)

Stereo? So many people on this site have contributed solutions and have done all the trial and error - you can benefit from that. Plus, people who are really into thier music tend to go aftermarket anyway.

Once in a while you hear about somoeone who got a lemon and are dealing with major mechanical issues. But this can happen to anyone in any car - just (bad) luck of the draw.

Overwhelming vibe is - most 93 owners are more than happy to deal with the quirks. That speaks volumes in its own right

IMO its one of the best cars for the money you can find. And if you are over 25 with good driving history - wait till you see your new insurance premium! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys thank you for all of the responses. I really appreciate it. Everyone has there own opinion and I can understand that not everyone can be satisfied, but from what I have read, I am very impressed. Two more questions though. Why does the '05 not come in a 6spd anymore? and How is the insurance on the 9-3?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I LOVE my '04 9-3 Aero. I've had it six months and still get excited every morning when I unlocks the doors to drive to work!

I have the six speed. Saab was offering five speeds on lower trim levels, while offering the six speed on the Aero. In the US, the demand for manual transmission cars is very small. According to my dealer, Saab couldn't justify stocking and servicing two different manual transmission in such small numbers. Many of us on this forum have had quibbles with the six speed- it's very tempermental. This may have contributed to the five speed across the model range.

I live in NJ, home of the the highest auto insurance in the Union. I pay roughly $900 a year for full coverage.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Cayman1 said:
I have an 03 Vector and also love it. Have one issue with the auto trans slipping but the part is on order and will be fixed shortly. A lot of people also complain about the 300 watt stereo but I actually love it and would not change a thing.
What part did they order? I have been having transmission issues and will be bringing it in to them in a few weeks. Not sure if it's the 2-3 problem, but it is slammming into gear occasionally when I'm at very low speeds - like sitting in traffic. Even without touching the gas. This morning, I noticed that when I put it into reverse, from a dead stop with foot planted on the brake, it rumbles a little bit. Didn't like the feel of that...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Jet,

They ordered the Valve body for the transmission. Mine doesn't slam into gears, it just has a really long flare or pause between 2nd and 3rd, where it feels like it pops into neutral and the rpm's shot up quickly and then pops into 3rd and the rpms drop back down and all is normal...very annoying. You can mention the valve body to the dealer as mine has said this has fixed the ones they have seen and that part is on a nation wide back order of 33 units so it seems like dealer are catching on to the remedy......hopefully!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts