SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'06 9.3 ss 2.0t (9440)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to tap into the output wires that turn on the rear reading lights from the switch mentioned above, to hook up some custom lights.

Can someone tell me which wire/'s are the "trigger" wire that turns on the rear reading lights please?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
My NG900 WIS doesn't differentiate out the convertible wiring from the sedan. It's either pin 1 or pin 3 off the switch. One is the front overhead light, the other is the rear reading lights.

I don't know about the ng900 ICE, but the 9-3 DICE watches current output on those lines. I would replace the map lights adn overhead light with LED's before you add more lights to the circuit... and make those LED's too, to play it safe.

·
Registered
'06 9.3 ss 2.0t (9440)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! :cheesy:

To be more specific, i am relocating the reading lights and using a larger LED, not so much adding MORE lights. So it should balance out. However, that would be a serious piece of sage advice for someone who hadnt thought of that ;ol;

·
Registered
'06 9.3 ss 2.0t (9440)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last question (I think) about the switch. Since it doesnt have a pin# 2, that leaves pin #'s 4 or 5 for power in. Do you know which it is by chance?*

And what the heck is the other one for? :eek:

*- I know its easy with a multimeter and mediocre powers of deduction, but it's cold out here, and i'd have to dig my DMM out, and it would be pretty awesome if someone replies, because that means i can stay inside and be lazy :lol:

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Pin 5 should be constant power for when you want to switch on the lights manually. Pin 4 should be power sent when the switch is in the center position that turns the lights on/off when you enter or exit the car (or shut off the ignition).

Both are controlled by the ICE/DICE and will be powered or not based on the rules in the DICE (like powering off interior lights after the car is locked in the 9-3, shutting lights off after an hour of inactivity, etc).

·
Registered
'06 9.3 ss 2.0t (9440)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both are controlled by the ICE/DICE and will be powered or not based on the rules in the DICE (like powering off interior lights after the car is locked in the 9-3, shutting lights off after an hour of inactivity, etc).
Oooh, ok. that makes a lot more sense. like the lights going off 60 seconds after i lock the doors.

So, even the constant power at #5 can be turned on/off by ICE, depending on conditions. aye?

And if (for example) i want to know which color wire is + or - at the rear reading lights themselves, is that information i can only get through WIS (which i'm having no luck locating) or do one of the brand of aftermarket manuals (chiltons/haynes) have a list of wires and corresponding colors?

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
For all practical purposes, #5 would always be powered. You can always switch the lights ON with the console switch. However, if you leave the lights on, the DICE will shut them off after an hour. So the DICE is in control. Next time you get in the car,#5 would go live again.

If you only need power for lights that you'd use when in the car, I would be comfortable assuming #5 will always be powered. Keep in mind that it is unswitched. If you want power that would be shut off by the car more quickly and is switchable, the line to the rear reading lights is a better choice or the line to the overhead front light (depending on how you want the switching to work).

FYI - If you find a "factory manual" on CD or downloadable on Ebay, that's typically the WIS. I believe want at least version 3.0 and you nee the NG900 included for your 900. You can order the Haynes manual from some place like Rockauto for a good price. The Haynes diagrams have basic configuration, pin numbers, and wire colors for most circuits. They don't have connector locations, pin out diagrams, ground locations, etc.

·
Registered
'06 9.3 ss 2.0t (9440)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*BINGO*

Do you have some sort of ESP? ElectronicSaabProblemsolver?

You answered the question i was ultimately trying to ask in the first post, but forgot how to word it :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.