SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so my brother-in-law just got a new 93SS Arc '05. Its polar white and very sharp. I came down to see it tonight and we were noticing that the Xenon lows are just like mine, but on the highs it seems the Halogens cut on. Is there a paticular change/reasoning for the '05 arcs to not have high output Xenons? Is this some mistake, and if so... how to correct (other than yell at dealer).

Say hey to my bro.. sure to be a new mbr on here :)

------------ edit -------------
Okay, so after looking at the website a bit closer it almost appears that xenon is just the lows, and halogen the highs? Is this really the case.. if so.. anyway to fix this? We want the Xenons man :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Did they really do that? I don't see a reference to "bi-xenon" headlamps on the Saab USA site for the current model year. In '03, at least, you got the xenon lamps at high beam too. Must be another cost-cutting measure. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay.. still thinking. If we have the exact same set-up, why would it allow me to use the Xenons for highs.. but his halogens cut on (mine never cut on.. they are just useless bulbs)... there must be a way to make his Xenons cut on high too correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bi Xenons - cost cutting

CallipNCSUsaab said:
Okay.. still thinking. If we have the exact same set-up, why would it allow me to use the Xenons for highs.. but his halogens cut on (mine never cut on.. they are just useless bulbs)... there must be a way to make his Xenons cut on high too correct?
NO COST CUTTING IN THE UK. My new 05 UK 9-3 Vector Sport has got Bi Xenon meaning that the Xenon (outer) lights work on dip and full beam. The inner halogen lights work on full beam only. Hope this helps.

They are fantastic compared to halogen bulbs. I would not be without them in the winter here in Scotland.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does any one have any idears or sugestions on how to fix the problem of not having the xenons working on high beam since i have a 05 93arc and it is equpied with the xenons how ever the xenons are only operational on low setting and then the halogens take over on the high setting but the xenons are still llite when the halonges are burnning. i have a relitive that has what looks to be the exat same setup cause he has both the xenons and halogen bulbs but when he swiches from his low to high the xenons are the only lamp that stays llite and his haloges have never worked at all even though the halogens are equpied on his 03 93ss sice he took it off the lot!!! does any oone hear know if the new 05 93s are still equpied with the bi xenons or has saab swithced the lamps out so that now the xenons are only oprational at the low setting only and can never work on high beam!! pleas submit a reply answer if any person on the site knows what if any thing can be done thanks!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i has an 03 arc with the xenon lights... thought the low/high beam was awesome since the xenons seemed to just flip a mirror or something inside to change the output...

but alas.. my 04 aero that replaced it which i thought would be an upgrade uses the halogens on high and only the xenons on low. ive gotten used to some of the things that the 04 dropped from 03, but the headlights are tough. i asked my dealer what the deal was and to make it work like 03... and they said that it took them awhile to figure it out, but it seems like they dont do both beams anymore - nothing they could do. this is also the same dealer who will not disable my drl's though, so who knows...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's cheaper to design the lamps so that the xenon bulb is used on low only. This is the more common implementation, even in more expensive cars. Too bad that Saab "decontented" it. I doubt it's anything you could "fix".

·
Registered
267 Posts
CallipNCSUsaab said:
Most likely not. What allows the xenons to be used for both high and lowbeams in a bi-xenon setup is a mechanical shutter which blocks part of the bulb's light output when the lowbeams are on, but moves out of the way when the highbeams are on. From what I can tell from my bi-xenons is that there is a machanical shutter incorperated in the projector. If you aim your car at a wall and look at the beam pattern, you'll see a sharp cut-off at the top when the lowbeams are on. When I turn on the highbeams, the light output doesn't get brighter, however the shutter moves, light is allowed thru the entire projector and the cut-off at the top of the beam pattern is gone.

I'd imagine that If the car isn't bi-xenon equipped, I doubt that just a Tech-II change will enable it. I'd imagine they did away with the bi-xenon projectors for '05.

There's definately some intellegence behind the highbeams. I noticed that with my drl's disabled, if the car is running, the headlights are off and I pull the highbeam, the xenons come on. But if the car is not in the on position and I pull the highbeam stalk the halogens come on. I'm thinking that if the wiring is there you could retrofit the bi-xenon hardware and make the appropriate Tech-II changes to enable the feature?

·
Registered
41 Posts
bi-xenon equipped

GIR said:
I'd imagine that If the car isn't bi-xenon equipped, I doubt that just a Tech-II change will enable it. I'd imagine they did away with the bi-xenon projectors for '05.
I cannot understand that SAAB would have a different specification for USA SAAB's than that of Europe unless there is some US law that prevents thier use on high beam in the USA or Cananda. As I said before they are still fitted in the UK on the 05 model year.:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
IGCameron said:
I cannot understand that SAAB would have a different specification for USA SAAB's than that of Europe unless there is some US law that prevents thier use on high beam in the USA or Cananda. As I said before they are still fitted in the UK on the 05 model year.:confused:
Headlight specs are completely different between US cars and UK cars. Headlights in the USA need to conform to DOT regulations which require a different, less effective beam pattern than headlights certified for the UK and the rest of the world. Not to mention with non DOT headlights that the "rest of the world gets" there's a difference in beam pattern between left hand and right hand drive cars.

As far as dropping the bi-xenon option in the US, I don't think it's a law, more of a cost issue. Plenty of other manufactures offer bi-xenon lights for '05.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
GIR said:
I noticed that with my drl's disabled, if the car is running, the headlights are off and I pull the highbeam, the xenons come on. But if the car is not in the on position and I pull the highbeam stalk the halogens come on.
Wow! GIR was (and probably still is) one observant fellow.

I put in new xenons tonight and proceeded to notice my H7 halogens never came on. That stumped me, until I found this thread. GIR is correct. The only way to get the H7's to light if you have xenons is to pull the stalk all the way back with the car off. This is only true in the US and Canadian markets.

The lighting logic (for bi-xenons with shutter) is as follows:

US/CA - dipped beam is xenons with the screen up (partially blocking light).
main (i.e. "high") beam is xenons with screen down. H7's do not light.

Other markets - dipped beam is xenons with the screen up.
main beam is xenons with screen down PLUS H7's are lit.

Based on the WIS, it looks like this IS NOT TECH2 PROGRAMMABLE because the pins used in the headlight harness are completely different between the two markets.

So, why the difference?
Turns out headlight laws are very strict in the US and vary among the states. Some states (e.g. Florida) have laws mandating that no more than four lamps can be illuminated on the front of a car at one time. Since the parking lights are always on, the H7's cannot be on with the xenons.

EDIT: Well, I read the WIS for 2005, which apparently has the non-shutter xenons. Main beam logic for that year uses dipped beam xenons + main beam halogens + parking lights. That's 6 lights, so my above reasoning has moved to shaky ground.

It all probably still has to do with headlight laws, but now I have a headache... and the beer in the fridge is looking much more appealing than Florida Motor Vehicle Statutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts