SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brakes need to be replaced soon and I've trying to find the parts online, however it seems my car is outfitted with 15" (278mm) calipers which aren't available anywhere for a reasonable price. Could I use 16" calipers instead? I assume I would also have to replace the rotors with 16" ones (currently 15"), but would there be anything else that would need to be changed? Additionally would I be able to use the same tires/rims that I am currently using?

Alternatively, what tools and parts would I need to restore the calipers? Is it possible (or advisable) to do that? Is it possible to restore a caliper that's been frozen (don't know if mine have)?

`06 9-3 2.0t SS, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,056 Posts
rear discs are 278mm(11")solid or 292mm(11.5")Vented..15/16" is wheel size..

·
Registered
210 Posts
My rear brakes need to be replaced soon and I've trying to find the parts online, however it seems my car is outfitted with 15" (278mm) calipers which aren't available anywhere for a reasonable price. Could I use 16" calipers instead? I assume I would also have to replace the rotors with 16" ones (currently 15"), but would there be anything else that would need to be changed? Additionally would I be able to use the same tires/rims that I am currently using?

Alternatively, what tools and parts would I need to restore the calipers? Is it possible (or advisable) to do that? Is it possible to restore a caliper that's been frozen (don't know if mine have)?

`06 9-3 2.0t SS, thanks in advance.
I rebuilt my calipers due to a bad dust seal. It was kinda miserable, my post is somewhere on here. Rock auto sent the wrong rebuild parts, im still not sure if they’re dragging a bit. Unless youre broke and / or a proud do it yourselfer the remans may be worth the cost. If you rebuild youll need compressed air and be sure to hollow out the sliding portions. Additionally i think when the metal starts oxidizing it expands a bit too, so the casting may be crap too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh yeah, my brake fluid gets dark after a year or so. Im not sure if those crappy calipers i rebuilt are rusty too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rear discs are 278mm(11")solid or 292mm(11.5")Vented..15/16" is wheel size..

Oh ok I guess I got some bad information but I'm still not completely understanding this. If my wheels are 15" and discs are 278mm do I need a caliper that is specifically compatible with that size disc, or will they all work? Some of the calipers I've seen have specific sizes listed, and some have no sizes listed at all. Alternatively, if I wanted to change to 292mm vented discs would I have to get a different wheel?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh ok I guess I got some bad information but I'm still not completely understanding this. If my wheels are 15" and discs are 278mm do I need a caliper that is specifically compatible with that size disc, or will they all work? Some of the calipers I've seen have specific sizes listed, and some have no sizes listed at all. Alternatively, if I wanted to change to 292mm vented discs would I have to get a different wheel?
Regarding wheel size: 15"/16" is referring to minimum/recommended minium wheel size for it to fit.

There are different part numbers for the calipers depending on 278 or 292mm brakes, so I'm gonna say they're different. Probably wider caliper on the vented 292mm discs.

You can use 292mm discs if you get the correct calipers and caliper carrier brackets to hold them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts