SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I did a search on the removal of liscence plates, and just liscense plates but I didn't get an answer for my question:

I know having only a plate in the back is ok in many places, but have read that it is not legal in California. This confuses me because I see BMW's, Mercedes, Tahoes and Yukons, and Mini Coopers without front plates all of the time!

Now here is my real question (that was a bit of a rant hehe); I took my plate off and the metal thing that holds it on, and was left with a better looking Saab, but ugly drill marks, a slit, and a squared out part to put the plate.

Now I am wondering, since I really like the look of the front grill without a plate on it, and since I was going to order a new front grill anyways (aero kit!) does that come without predrilled holes??? Does the aero front also have the square looking indent where the plate should go? If you don't understand I can take a picture.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I think we understand, and at least to the best of my knowledge, all the fronts come Plate ready. Front plates are the norm rather than the exception.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JonV - I understand that they probably come front ready, but do you know if that entails having pre-drilled holes? I can't find this catalog people talk about where you can order the front side and rear parts for the car :(.

Vector - I had been thinking about getting a euro plate, or just a solid black plate that says "9-3" from partsforsaabs, but I don't know if that would mess up the overal flow of the car with a euro plate in front and a cali plate in the back, or can there be euro plates in the front and back?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
When I said Front plate ready, yes, pre-drilled....you can get the parts unpainted at www.thesaabsite.com for one, for a fee you could probably havr their Paintshop fill the holes. That's my best suggestion. The US states without front plates usually allow a Vanity plate, thats another option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
don't know if that would mess up the overal flow of the car with a euro plate in front and a cali plate in the back, or can there be euro plates in the front and back?[/QUOTE]
imo i think having the 2 different plates is fine. it makes the front so clean. just dont change the back one then ull b asking for a ticket

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, well JonV there are plates to order on there that have the european shape but still have the US stamp on them.

And 3d stone, I was born in Holland and lived there for a while before my family relocated to California, and I will be moving back after college :D .

·
Registered
824 Posts
Go with one of the Saab vanity plates. They blend in better with the front of the car compared to some cheesy fake euro license plate.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Warren Demontague said:
Go with one of the Saab vanity plates. They blend in better with the front of the car compared to some cheesy fake euro license plate.

I have the turbo plate and like it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dustin_D said:
Hello,

I did a search on the removal of liscence plates, and just liscense plates but I didn't get an answer for my question:

I know having only a plate in the back is ok in many places, but have read that it is not legal in California. This confuses me because I see BMW's, Mercedes, Tahoes and Yukons, and Mini Coopers without front plates all of the time!
I would go with this answer, if it is illegal in your state to remove the front plate and you decide to do so for whatever reason then you are always running the risk of getting more attention than you want and also more fines than you may want.

By commiting an act that is illegal you give the police the opportunity to pull you over and then look for anything else they desire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.