SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most recent Saab ( 95 turbo coupe ) is my first to employ the automatic climate controls. Yes, it has the annoying noisy little intake fan in the console that I haven't fixed yet since it's nothing more than an annoyance.

More annoying is the rear window defroster/defogger that seems to turn itself on whenever I adjust any of the other controls. I've verified that the element is actually heating, so it's not just that the indicator on the instrument panel is lighting itself.

First of all, does this sound like normal behavior? Are there some system settings that SHOULD be turning on the rear window element? Seems to me that it should only come on if I intentionally turn it on.

Looking ahead, if something is broken/worn and in need of replacement, will I have the option of replacing these bogus climate controls with the simpler more reliable manual controls? Is the wiring/plugs be similar enough for a simple swap of the control panel?

Thanks for any/all input.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No ACC and MCC climate controls are not interchangable, if you have ACC you can't just swap in manual controls, the entire HVAC unit is controlled electronically via stepping motors and sensors for the ACC unit.

The little fan thing in the dash, the interior cabin temperature sensor, only needs a few drops of oil on the motor shaft to quiet in up. Will run like new afterwards.

As for the rear defrost grid, your description of how yours is operating sounds like normal operation to me. Mine is constantaly turning on by itself also. The is how it works. The ACC does exactly as the name implies, Automatic Climate Control, you set the desired interior temperature and the ACC will do everything to maintain that temperature. As part of its operation is to keep all the windows demisted, and it does this by taking the outside temperature reading, as well and the preset interior temperature setting you set, and then it also measures humidity and sunload via sensors throughout the HVAC system, then decides when the defrost/demist settings should be activated. This is all how its suppose to work, as anoying as it is.

Have you noticed that you can't even turn on the rear defrost manually with the entire system turned off? This is the one thing I dislike the most. I prefer colder temperatures and I rarely use the heater, but there are times when I just need the rear defrost to work but I need to turn on the entire system to just get the rear defrost to work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but at least I understand it better now.

Maybe I'll just wire up an in-line switch to turn the f***'ing thing off. This won't help in cases where you want it turned on with the system turned off, but at least it won't be burning itself out trying to defrost a clean/dry/warm rear glass.

In general, I find manual controls preferable over automatic controls in nearly any situation. I even like heating the house with my fireplace. So I guess I'm just a grumpy old throw-back to simpler age.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My 1999 9-3 SE HB does similar things also. Except for one thing. The heat does not work at all. The fan works fine but there's no heat coming out no matter what I set the temp to. I need help about fixing this quickly because winter is nearing and I have a 5 month old daughter that needs to be kept warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts