SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my situation. I presented a picture of the breather hose and what I think each line goes too.

The part of the hose that connects into the valve cover pvc has broken off short.

I'm having a really hard time finding a replacement hose with the metal coolant line inside.

Would i be correct to assume that I don't even need the coolant lines and could block them off, and could just run a hose from valve cover to air intake.

From what I've read the coolant hoses on this breather are for heating up the car faster for extremely cold conditions.

I live in North Carolina where cold weather is not
an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The internal coolant line feeds the throttle body to prevent throttle icing and is inside the breather hose to prevent oil vapour solidifying and blocking the breather in extremely cold conditions. These hose assemblies are very difficult to find and your best bet is a used one. Many people eliminate the internal coolant pipe altogether with seeming no ill effects or run an external coolant hose allowing a proprietary hose to be used for the breather. You should try and retain the throttle heating feature. Throttle icing can occur in quite temperate conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm having a horrible time finding used parts in my area. Even the European mechanic here can't find a part. If i have to do away with it, could i run the upper coolant hose down to the throttle body or does the metal line regulate how much coolant is received in the TB?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If i have to do away with it, could i run the upper coolant hose down to the throttle body or does the metal line regulate how much coolant is received in the TB?
No reason why you shouldn't run a copper pipe down to the TB, or a small flexible hose for that matter. The pipe doesn't regulate the coolant flow. There's no reason if you are handy why you shouldn't make your own assembly with an internal pipe provided you seal the copper entry and exit from the breather hose properly, or strap the copper hose to the breather with cable ties.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice peva! I think i will try to make my own, It doesn't sound to complicated to do.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mine broke and I just used a short length of hose with two hose clamps to bridge the gap. It worked for me, although mine wasn't broken near the end.

Dustin

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Turbo Volvo 740s and 940s from around 1990 onwards had an electric heater in the end of their crankcase hoses. I have always wondered if they work better than then Saab design.

About heating the throttle body, I have been thinking on going from head to throttle body and then to turbo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you can't find a replacement second-hand part from a 900, the one from a 9000 is actually the same, it's just bent differently — so don't limit yourself to just scavenging from 900's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts