SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my ac condenser got squished in the crash...and since I've turned on the ac in the vert one time (that was to see if it worked :roll: ) I'm tossing the condenser, dryer and lines. I thought about keeping the compressor and using it for an on-board air adapt but meh...more useful in an off-road vehicle like I used to do in my Jeeps.

SO...if I yank the compressor does anyone know the correct belt size I would need or am I going to have to use the tie-a-string-around-the-pulleys method

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Since my ac condenser got squished in the crash...and since I've turned on the ac in the vert one time (that was to see if it worked :roll: ) I'm tossing the condenser, dryer and lines. I thought about keeping the compressor and using it for an on-board air adapt but meh...more useful in an off-road vehicle like I used to do in my Jeeps.

SO...if I yank the compressor does anyone know the correct belt size I would need or am I going to have to use the tie-a-string-around-the-pulleys method
If I follow you rightly... The a/c compressor is stand alone. Just take the belt off. You can also remove the idler pulley bracket and even the pulley on the end of the harmonic balancer. Then you can almost start to almost see the engine... almost...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Belt?

Scantar, I do not understand your question. The AC belt goes only between the AC pulley, and Idler pulley, and the crankshaft. It does not connect to the power steering pump or Alternator & water pump pulleys. If you remove the condenser and hoses, you could also remove the AC belt, AC idler, and compressor as this would save some weight. The compressor is mounted by two 6mm hex cap screws at the top and one 12mm bolt at the bottom just behind the alternator. The 12mm bolt needs only to be loosened as there is a slot in the AC bracket. To remove the AC compressor, remove the two cap screws, loosen the 12mm bolt and lift the compressor out. Keep the compressor as you or a future owner might want AC in the future. Good work with the repair of your collision damage. Thanks for the picture of the bent bumper horn. It is amazing that the damage to the body shell is so little.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Banman and Bobsvert...guess I should look before asking ;oops: Didn't realize it was a solo belt. :)

I can't wait to see all that glorious Saab wonder that's hidden by the compressor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts