SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research into using the GM timing kit so you don't need the special tools to hold the cam lobes when installing the camshaft gears, I know it needs to be set to TDC on Cylinder 4 instead of Cylinder 1 for this but my question is will the balance shafts be in time when I set it to TDC on Cylinder 4 as it would be on TDC for Cylinder 1? I'd like to replace both at the same time while I'm there and just want to make sure the balancing marks will line up when I'm setting the timing to TDC on Cylinder 4, the vehicle specifically would be a 2006 9-3 2.0T.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get the tool!. I tried it without and ended up taking out exhaust valves and ruining the pistons. Found a donor motor and replaced head and put in new pistons. I got the tool for tis time around. So much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the tool!. I tried it without and ended up taking out exhaust valves and ruining the pistons. Found a donor motor and replaced head and put in new pistons. I got the tool for tis time around. So much easier.
Did you have this issue while using the GM keyed cam gears instead of the Saab non keyed cam gears?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My problem happened when I was replacing the balance chain guide. Didn't know about the cam tool then. Couldn't tell you what gears are there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you used the tool you had to have used the Saab cam gears, the GM gears are keyed so they set themselves properly on the cam without the need of the tool with the engine at TDC on cylinder 4. My question was will the balance shaft gears be in the same timing at TDC 4 as they would be at TDC 1. I believe I found the answer as the balance system goes through 2 rotations for the crankshafts 1 rotation the gears should be in the same timing at TDC 4 and TDC 1. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts