SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the newly-titled inheritor of our family's last SAAB, a '92 9000 Griffin Ed. On a recent drive home from the grocery store, I noticed the dash and headlights dimming intermittently, and the battery light had come on. I looked at the voltage reading on the battery on the info panel in the dash, and it was jumping all over the place, anywhere between 8 and 13-14 volts. Finally, after about 10 minutes of this, the voltage dropped below 7 amps, and the electronic throttle/steering etc. died, and the engine stopped firing. I had to pull over, and couldn't restart the car.

I'm familiar with the alternator, and our family's SAAB mechanic mentioned it's probably the voltage regulator, which he says is relatively easy to replace without even having to remove the alternator, if you know what you're doing. I'm inclined to believe him on the piece I need to repair. Only problem is, I don't really know my way around the engine compartment. So, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pictures or an idea of how the voltage regulator is oriented on the alternator. I found the alternator, but can't see the voltage regulator.

I'd take the car in to my mechanic and have him do it, but I'm a good 400 miles away from him currently, in Wisconsin at school. So, I guess I'm either doing it myself, or paying a mechanic here an exorbitant amount of money to replace the entire alternator for me and probably do a less than stellar job, to say the least, since I haven't found a decent foreign auto mechanic in the area.

Long time lurker, first-time poster. Love the site, and am really glad there's a resource that can hopefully help me resolve this.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, now I feel a bit foolish. Thanks for the heads up, I actually just encountered the problem friday, so I didn't spend much time searching the forums for a solution before I asked. Wasn't sure if it's a common problem or not. Anyway, I'll be looking into bringing the car back into pristine condition over the next year or so, and will probably have lots of questions.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I guess I shouldn't have been so smart with my comment

Well, now I feel a bit foolish. Thanks for the heads up, I actually just encountered the problem friday, so I didn't spend much time searching the forums for a solution before I asked. Wasn't sure if it's a common problem or not. Anyway, I'll be looking into bringing the car back into pristine condition over the next year or so, and will probably have lots of questions.
Don't feel fooltish - we've all done it, or most of us, including me!

Anyway welcome to the wonderful world of Saabs, and of course S/C forums.
Hopefully my 93 9000CD is gone. So I will only have 2 9000's left!

The only real mechanical quirks these car appear to have are timing/balance chain issues, (91-93) and head gaskets. Neither of which are big issues really but the t/chain balance chain parts are quite expensive for these years.

Two questions:

How many km on your car?
Don't let a mechanic who doesn't know Saabs near the car, they will charge you heaps just to find out about them.
You can do that yourself if you have time. They are after all only cars, and as you know, this sitte is absolutely full of links and info and great people who will tell you what you need to know on the task you are doing.

Oh, that was only 1 question.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I looked at your post again, are you sure all your electrica connections are tight. I would check them over before condemning the regulator.

If a loose connection was jumping around I think I can see how it would give those symptoms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point...

I actually thought about that, but if a connection is loose, wouldn't it typically be that it's an issue of one minute I'll have power the next I won't, without any variation in the level? Also, typically an indicator might be that whenever the vehicle is jarred the issue would occur, no? That didn't happen, it seemed for all intents and purposes to be random. Idk, I'll check the connections from battery to the alternator, but I doubt if that's the problem. Thanks for the second thought tho!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Yes you are probably right.

Then again, as my local garage man (and others) say: it is not called 'electrickery' for nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts