SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, after reading Chris's post about getting his LSD installed, it re-kindled my fire to get mine installed which is still sitting on a shelf in my garage at home. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought about me doing the install myself. My pretty wealthy buddy has a garage with a lift where he and his dad work on muscle cars and his Subaru 2.5RS (which he has a full STi swap in, the thing is faster than a bat out of hell) with a lift and a LOT of tools. I was thinking about asking him to help me install mine over the break. Now, my understanding is that installing the LSD requires that I remove the gearset inside the transmission. Is it possible to remove the gearset in a way that I can just get the LSD in and put the gearset back in without worrying about taking everything apart? I don't have the money to pay for labor right now, which would cost me somewhere near $3,000. Anyone have any thoughts on how to go about this and any warnings about it? I asked this before when I was going to replace the clutch myself but I was told that I needed a clutch puller and all sorts of tools that only a shop really has. Am I in way over my head here?

Looking at the WIS, the only dismantling information they have makes me take off every gear and completely dismantle the entire gearset. Is this the only way to go about it? If so, I'm afraid I'll have to have it done professionally as I feared.

Thanks fellas! :cool:

EDIT: Reading the WIS a more thorough second time, I realize I don't think this is possible for me to do. Looks like I'm gonna be saving up! :cry:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Looking at the WIS, the only dismantling information they have makes me take off every gear and completely dismantle the entire gearset. Is this the only way to go about it? If so, I'm afraid I'll have to have it done professionally as I feared. :cry:
Thats what I watched Wessy do to mine:confused:

But if its any consolation, I am still waiting to "feel" any difference :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris 9-5 said:
Thats what I watched Wessy do to mine:confused:

But if its any consolation, I am still waiting to "feel" any difference :confused:
You haven't felt a difference in grip at all? :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
You haven't felt a difference in grip at all? :eek:
Its pretty much rained ever since it was fitted so I am readly to be astonished - seeing as its an upgrade that "I must have" and "should have been done from factory" - but nope :roll:

I'm convinced that there are two other major factors:

1. Suspension and tyre set up
2. Technical ability to drive

In my case the suspension & tyre package is obviously the factor which helps ;)

If you have soggy LPT suspension and floor it out of a wet bend I am sure the LSD will compensate for the car's (and driver's) inadequacies........ (Thats gonna upset a few folks - but its my opinion, sorry)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Its pretty much rained ever since it was fitted so I am readly to be astonished - seeing as its an upgrade that "I must have" and "should have been done from factory" - but nope

I'm convinced that there are two other major factors:

1. Suspension and tyre set up
2. Technical ability to drive

In my case the suspension & tyre package is obviously the factor which helps
Are you saying you have not felt ANY difference at all.......:confused:

Chris.....that piece of metal hanging down in the footwell to the right of the brake pedal........push it down:lol:

I think maybe your expectation of what you were expecting and what in reality the effect is are very different.
You should not feel any difference at all in normal driving, that's the beauty of the ATB diff, allows wifey to use it for shopping without getting into deep do-do.

Go out and play.......:cheesy: and re-learn your driving technique for fwd, as that's what you will have to do. Just don't back out the throttle on a curve....:D and don't floor it coming out of a wet bend......:eek:

Chris 9-5 said:
If you have soggy LPT suspension and floor it out of a wet bend I am sure the LSD will compensate for the car's (and driver's) inadequacies........ (Thats gonna upset a few folks - but its my opinion, sorry)
No.......an ATB diff with soggy LPT suspension would be a complete nightmare and an ATB diff won't work with any driver in adequacies, you have to understand how the diff works to make it work.....the diff will never compensate for inadequate driving.....:nono;

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
aeropilot said:
Go out and play.......:cheesy: and re-learn your driving technique for fwd, as that's what you will have to do. Just don't back out the throttle on a curve....:D and don't floor it coming out of a wet bend......:eek:
Aeropilot - let's meet up I'll buy you a coffee and you can help me........ :p

Whats that Middlesex cafe place you guys love?

aeropilot said:
.....the diff will never compensate for inadequate driving.....:nono;
D'oh, I'm sunk :cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts