SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired 2000/9-3 came with the burden of old suspension and I have replaced the front struts already. However the rears are really in poor cond.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to change the rear shocks on this particular OG9-3?

Id also like to ask anyone out here after they had the front struts replaced did you happen to start having a popping sound from the struts when back out. It seems there is now a popping sound in the front end when I am back out of a parking space. FYI the strut mount bearings where replaced as well with SKF brand from France.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
Easy job. The only mildly challenging part is that the new shock will be pushing the bottom hole out of alignment. I usually put a large diameter screwdriver in there to align it and then put my floor jack under the edge of the shock mount (where it pokes through the bracket on the bottom) and hold it up in place.

It will also be a big time savings if you lightly tap the shock bolt in place once it's all aligned. The end is tapered so that it self-aligns but that makes getting it started an annoying step. Tapping it in gets it in place.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy job. The only mildly challenging part is that the new shock will be pushing the bottom hole out of alignment. I usually put a large diameter screwdriver in there to align it and then put my floor jack under the edge of the shock mount (where it pokes through the bracket on the bottom) and hold it up in place.

It will also be a big time savings if you lightly tap the shock bolt in place once it's all aligned. The end is tapered so that it self-aligns but that makes getting it started an annoying step. Tapping it in gets it in place.

Well Im going to give it a try! Where do you have to cut the carpet to get the top nut/bolt removed? Im a little worried about damaging the upholstery! Strange Saab would not have made removal of old shocks a damage free process.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
If you look right on top of where the shock top would be inside the car, you will see a three sided groove/depression in the "carpet"... or more realistically, the plastic interior panel... it's not really carpet. You cut the three sides and gently bend up the flap. The shock nut is right there. When done, return the flap to position.

If you have a convertible, it's up under the bag area and you have to half-climb in the trunk a bit to do it.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Both of the old '80s Hondas my parents owned had hard plastic covers in the trunk or hatch that would unsnap and give you access to the rear shock nuts. I thought that was a much more elegant solution than Saab's, but then both of those cars had hard plastic lining the hatch or trunk (they had a Civic wagon and an Accord sedan), which was much more easily damaged than the molded carpet that Saab used. The Accord's trunk, especially, really looked like crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts