SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 80 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yes. Everything is fully purged. The (stainless) steel was not burned. It simply was not polished before welding as that's a complete waste of time. I brush all my welds after completion for ease of inspection and assure you they came out very colorful. I am a professional welder for nuclear plants, I know what I'm doing ;) I'll take some unbrushed pictures of the other manifold when I weld it tomorrow.

I plan on jigging everything and will not be outsourcing anything. Given the extent of the modifications required, it will be offered on an as-requested basis.

The root pass. I have not ported out the runners yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the great pleasure of getting to meet Andy and Pat and see this beast live in person today. Andy and Pat are terrific and totally dedicated to the project and didn't seem to mind me standing around awkwardly in the way all agape over the car's awesomeness ;)

@Jn2 - I can vouch for Pat's welds; they are top-notch. The welds on the intercooler/intake tubing are pure sex (did I just equate welds to sex?).

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Three Mile

You weren't say a welder out at Three Mile Island were you? :cheesy::cheesy:

Interesting factoid: One way they checked for radition spread and potential exposure, was by going around to all the drug stores and camera shops and looking for regualar Kodak film that would have shown signs of it.

Still have my film badges around someplace. Just like government they issued us clips and a bunch of badges and rings but never sourced anyone to read them. :cheesy:

I'm the only guy on my block who can give the Saab, gas, brake, and clutch all at once. That extra leg comes in handy driving and in three legged sack races. :eek:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh, how I wish that was true. I was flying out a small field in Chalfont and would be able, on clear days to look out to Three Mile Island the week after that happened and that's where a few of our club members worked as fitters and carpenters (cut rate flying club, nothing fancy). I'm in my 60's and my first turbo was a 1963 Corvair with a Thomas blow through kit. First car was a hybrid 49/51 Ford 2 door hardtop with a 239 flat head 8. At the time I was working for the other utility across the river, PSE&G. Playing it up as a "Green friendly company", part of the aquaculture project that raised rainbow trout in the warm waste water from the power plant at Duck Island. During the day we were friendly and "green" and at night, "power" up with the scrubbers off. I used to blast my car clean every night with a fire hose before I left for home. It was horrible working in a cloud of coal dust and blow off. I can feel the grit just thinking about it. At least you don't have that aside for disappearing in a cloud of vapor? :cheesy::cheesy:

:cheesy::cheesy: Old as dinosaurs but not old as dirt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
still waiting on parts to show up.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
you going with a single dual plenum design? something like this would look SICK!

i doubt you will have that kind of clearance, so they wont be cylindrical like that, prob more oval-ish....or a single one like the stocker would prob work too

·
Registered
446 Posts
No. I do not like twin plenum manifolds with a common throttle body. It severely reduces the plenum volume, which you need as much as possible of for a high performance motor. Plus, with those kind of manifolds, you can't implement velocity stacks which severely cuts out runner velocity. it's a lose lose situation.

This plenum will be similar in shape to the stock manifold, but with a flat top and round edges, rather than square edges and the stepped radius on the front cylinders. It won't have an "external plenum" like the stock, but instead taper from the full width of the plenum (oval) to a single round opening for a 75mm throttle body. The fuel pressure sensor will be relocated to the end of the rail to accommodate for the relocated throttle body.

I could have this done this evening maybe, but I need to take a nap, so that probably won't happen. Maybe tomorrow while I'm still waiting for stuff to come in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So many toys are coming in tomorrow. I am very excite

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
at least we found some that aren't 75 for a set. That's worth the wait.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tech... what? Looks to me like it is opening up, not becoming a bottle neck. I am assuming it was designed to accommodate more air flow as the exhaust flow combines with the next cylinder. Kind of like a collector.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Tech... what? Looks to me like it is opening up, not becoming a bottle neck. I am assuming it was designed to accommodate more air flow as the exhaust flow combines with the next cylinder. Kind of like a collector.
^ this, looks fine

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Yes, tech, could you clarify what' you're talking about? Is it the concentric reducer? It's to step the size up from the bend, which is 1.5"ID to a larger 2" ID pipe. The second runner merges in right as the "reducer" transitions from 1.5 to 2".

also, keep in mind I have not ported out where the later runners transition to the main pipe. Those will be bored out smooth. The pictures are literally post-welding and I don't have a way to fishmouth the pipe before welding.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Today we did the fuel pump.

Tank out

Factory basket taken apart.

Another shot of the basket. Factory walbro pump. :)

Modified the basket with the Walbro 450 E85

Bored out the bottom of the basket so the new pump won't empty the basket.

Emptying all the old gas out of the tank...in the most dangerous way we know how ;ol;

Re-assembly. Total time: 6 hours with a food break.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
comparison of size between stock manifold and the one I made

61 - 80 of 356 Posts