SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too crazy about the air bag wheels, but I Like the pre-airbag 4 spokers.
My '92 has the airbag in it now, but I recently aquired a 4 spoker off of an '87.
Will the 4 spoke wheel (the one with the colorful emblem in the middle and the rubber horn buttons) fit on my '92?

My areas of concern are:

- The airbag wheel has a contact ring for the airbag wiring, will this get in the way of the '87 wheel?
- Will the horn work if I do the swap?
- Do they bolt up the same way or will it look or operate incorrectly?
- Will my SRS lights be on all the time after the swap?

I am not concerned about the airbag going off. I already saw the link to the disarming procedure on this site.

Thank You

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
1. The SRS light will be on, yes.

2. The horns will work since you'll connect those in the same way.

3. I don't know about the machanical fit, but they should be close.

Good luck (from a pre-air-bag three-spoker).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the way the three spoker looks but does anybody else have the problem that they are always honking the horn by mistake? It does my head in so much that I might fit a 4 spoke.

Personally I would far rather have an airbag. It might not look quite right, but then neither will you after a crash when your face meets something hard. Thats the way I look at it anyway. If it is not too bad a job to fit I will be fitting an airbag.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
YES! i honk by mistake all the time!-but i just ordered a leather wrapped 3 spoker off ebay! NICE TOUCH!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have that 3 spoke and i would like to disable just the bottom horn button. horribly placed and too little effort to set it off

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
philb said:

This one I think, and yeah, it is far too easy to honk the horn, really embarassing in car parks :)
I love that wheel it is so cool. I remember driving my 1987 SPG for like the 2 miles I drove it and I do remember honking the horn by accident. But look at how cool that steering wheel looks compared to the airbag.

I have been thinking of fitting a steering wheel from a 1980's Jeep Cherokee to one of my airbag cars...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
yeah that turbo 3-spoke one is the one i got off ebay, very rare here to get it in leather! the seller didn't know (otherwise it would have gone for a lot more) but i could tell becuase of the seam on the bottom and could see stiches on the inner part. so $10.50USD later i won! $40 canadian total after shipping and a "processing fee" aka "i'm greedy".
-Matthew you have the momo wheel, tho rare and expensive doesn't visually appeal to me at all, the wood momo is nice but it looks about 20 years to old to be in a 900, the classic 3 spoke turbo wheel screams 80's and it just fits! i'm told many turbo's got the 4 spoke tho, like in the late 80's "s" models. also, matthew that is a pic from the beautiful 88' 2 door turbo you used to have, i remeber seeing pics and being super jealous! what happened to that car? why do you only have a 2dr 8v now?

-also people, very rare, but there is a 3 soke airbagwheel that is extremly nice, came with leather wrapped too, there is a pic in one of the brochures, i will track it down.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I think that one had no bag and was non-US?

My '89 900t had the 4-spoke, so did the other 88/89 900t's I've seen around. My 90 of course has the airbag, ditto my 90 S and 92 S. My 87 SPG had the 3-spoker. An 1988 S 4-door from Canada had a 3-spoker as well. An 85 900 had the 4-spoke.

Basically it seems the S and turbo got the 3-spoke, except for 1989 for some reason. Of course, in 1984 the 3-spoke had a "turbo" emblem on it instead of the roundel and only came on turbo 900's. The 4-spoker didn't exist until 1985 and was a different 4-spoke style, which was used in previous years of the 900. Turbo models had "SAAB turbo" written on them while N/A cars had "SAAB" only.

9000 cars had only the 3-spoke wheel until the advent of the airbag.

My fathers 1994 900SE has a steering wheel very similar to that of the 90-93 C900 and 89-92 9000. Except that it has a leather wrap (very nice) and a different airbag module with a full colour emblem and slightly different texture. I want to swap the wheels between our cars when he's not looking :lol:

I've seen a '92 900 S in a salvage yard with a leather-wrapped airbag wheel as well. I would have bought it until the guy told me he wanted $75 for it and wouldn't let me get it without the bag :roll:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
ok so here is my fav wheel, i wonder if i get one can i just remove the airbag and use the wheel?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
woywitka said:
ok so here is my fav wheel, i wonder if i get one can i just remove the airbag and use the wheel?
I have that exact same wheel and it has no airbag. I took it off and replaced it with this one. I think I am going to get a wooden one soon. (retail therapy):cheesy:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
CCSAAB300 said:
Will the 4 spoke wheel (the one with the colorful emblem in the middle and the rubber horn buttons) fit on my '92?

My areas of concern are:

- The airbag wheel has a contact ring for the airbag wiring, will this get in the way of the '87 wheel?
- Will the horn work if I do the swap?
- Do they bolt up the same way or will it look or operate incorrectly?
- Will my SRS lights be on all the time after the swap?

I am not concerned about the airbag going off. I already saw the link to the disarming procedure on this site.

Thank You
they bolt the same way with one bolt on the column. Some advice - just make sure before you remove the wheel that when you drive and come to a stop that the car is dead straight and that when you attach the 4 spoke that it goes exactly into the thread where the other wheel was. Because I had to attach a seperate boss kit it was trickier for me to get the wheel straight.

attach wheel, drive, park, remove wheel, attach, drive, park, blah blah blah. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
koeyjay said:
i have that 3 spoke and i would like to disable just the bottom horn button. horribly placed and too little effort to set it off
Driving without a horn is about the dumbest thing you can do. What are you going to do when you see some idiot turning blindly into your lane without any consideration for you precious 900, wave and scream loudly!!!!??? It's more embarressing to tell your mates you had an accident because you disabled the horn. :cheesy:

·
Registered
114 Posts
haha. no i still have the two by my thumbs. the bottom one was so light to touch it would go off by itself when it felt like it. just the other day some idiot took a left turn almost crushing me because he didn't use his indicators, i tried for the horn but my instinct is to punch the center of the wheel. all this does is loosen the nice emblem. damn that was close.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts