SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. I am on about 18 other forums, (including a moderating role on one) and have never experienced the restrictive attitude I've found here.
Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely appreciative of this forum. Thanks to everyone who runs it. BUT... I just need clarification about this issue please.

I had done a search re: centre console modifications for my year 2000 9-3, the search came up with various responses, one of which was relevant and so I responded to it.
(I did not backtrack to find out what 'model forum' the post I responded to was on, and I answered it. (Surely if it came up in the search I should be able to respond to it? No?)

I was 'greeted' with a rather terse message to go to the relevant forum. (93 OG I assume). And the moderator has now locked off the thread.
What's this all about? My question was involving a modification that might be possible from parts from another model, so surely it should be visible to owners of other models, not only OG?

So, if I find a thread or post on another 'model forum' that I want to respond to, does this mean that I have to go back to my particular model forum, (og93) then start ANOTHER thread there?
In what circumstance can I post in the the various forums without being put back in my box?

I'm only too happy to be put back in my box! But I would like to hear the rationale behind all this.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I’m not sure who locked it (hopefully not me? lol), but we try our best to keep discussions on topic. Not sure what forum you posted in, but specifics about modifying, say for example, an NG 9-5 center console would certainly not be applicable to modifying an OG 9-3. Keeping topics in the correct forum is often times a full time job...! So maybe a mod possibly had a quick trigger finger in your particular instance, but that’s the rationale. And frankly, you’ll get more relevant replies and more, OG 9-3 specific, knowledge from OG 9-3 owners anyway IMO. Interjecting a different model into a specific technical forum is a way to add confusion too, I’d venture to say.

All that said, I wouldn’t read too deep into it. Welcome aboard and I hope you find the answers you’re looking for. (y)

Edit: I just saw the thread you posted that in. If I were Diggs, I would have locked that thread too. It was a 10 year old zombie thread and the technical info is not relevant to your model, in my humble opinion. So I can definitely see why he replied the way he did and locked the thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure who locked it (hopefully not me? lol), but we try our best to keep discussions on topic. Not sure what forum you posted in, but specifics about modifying, say for example, an NG 9-5 center console would certainly not be applicable to modifying an OG 9-3. Keeping topics in the correct forum is often times a full time job...! So maybe a mod possibly had a quick trigger finger in your particular instance, but that’s the rationale. And frankly, you’ll get more relevant replies and more, OG 9-3 specific, knowledge from OG 9-3 owners anyway IMO. Interjecting a different model into a specific technical forum is a way to add confusion too, I’d venture to say.

All that said, I wouldn’t read too deep into it. Welcome aboard and I hope you find the answers you’re looking for. (y)

Edit: I just saw the thread you posted that in. If I were Diggs, I would have locked that thread too. It was a 10 year old zombie thread and the technical info is not relevant to your model, in my humble opinion. So I can definitely see why he replied the way he did and locked the thread.
Ok.
As to relevance, I had found the solution in question, and I was merely asking if anyone knew of a SIMILAR SOLUTION that would work on my earlier 9-3.
Anyway, question #1: how do I know that a thread is "zombie" if it's not marked as such and comes up in a search, and that I shouldn't reply to it?
Question #2: If a 9-5 console fitted my 9-3 and functioned as I wanted, how would I enquire about it if not on the 9-5 forum?
I could ask about it in the 9-3og forum but nobody there might know about the interchangability because they're (apparently) not able to enquire about it on the 9-5 forum.
(Has anyone ever read 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller?)

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
On the left side of the page, it tells you when the post was made. The one you had “revived” had a last post made in 2009... definitely a zombie. ?‍♀

When you make the 9-5 console fit your 9-3 I guess we’ll have to worry about it then... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts