SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an 01 2.3t with all options and 73600mi. for $10,750. I was just wondering what you think of the price and when the timing chains need repaced/checked and wht the cost is, also anyyhing i should look for? Also would anyone reccomend a 3rd party 6mo./7500k warr for $400? Its at a saab dealer and had an inspection done

·
Registered
194 Posts
I read earlier a Saab timing chain could go way over 100k. I sold Suzuki cars and the timing chain was good for at least 200k!!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Veedubin,

First recommendation - change username to Saabin:) .

My understanding is that the timing change is only a concern in the V6 SE (those need to be changed around 60k miles) and that the 2.3t should be fine well over 100k. The warranty might not be a bad idea if it is from a reputable company and the deductible isn't too high. It would give you some time to find out what's wrong and get it fixed under warranty. $400 isn't too much and the Saabs are a bit pricey to fix. Just my $.02:confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
How does one determine that the chain has become noisy? My car has 100K miles on it, but I have only had it a couple months, so I don't know what it's supposed to sound like. Sometiems the engine does seem to rattle a bit. Forgive my ignorance, but where is the timing chain located in the engine? Maybe I can pop the hood/bonnet and determine if it's the timing chain or something else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, Timing Chain should be to the left of the headif you are looking down at the motor, it will have a cover over it that is rounded at the top!!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes far left!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Question for Chris:

The blue "pipe" between the downpipe and BPV - is that a covering for the metal pipe or is that a non-metal replacement for/of the metal pipe??

·
Registered
160 Posts
my car rattles when it is in low revs, usually under 2000rpms. then it stops once i gain some rpms. could this be my timing chain? it has 93,000 on the clock and i dont think it has been changed.

G

·
Timing chain noise is pretty unmistakable, particularly noticable when starting from cold, will sound like a bag of spanners in the engine ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmm, seems you guys are pretty conservative about SAAB timing chain. While all other makes' timing chains
are supposed to be life time, like Taurus, Altima, etc., why
SAAB chain is expected to be replaced just over 100k?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
SZ95 said:
Hmmm, seems you guys are pretty conservative about SAAB timing chain. While all other makes' timing chains
Theres no set mileage. Replace it when its broke, whenever that may be. Might die young or weather many hard miles....

·
Registered
320 Posts
SZ95 said:
yes they are being very conservative. They will last beyond 200k with proper oil changes.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
bobsaab said:
Question for Chris:

The blue "pipe" between the downpipe and BPV - is that a covering for the metal pipe or is that a non-metal replacement for/of the metal pipe??
I can answer that one for you Bob, its a silicon replacement for the OE metal pipe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts