SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am obviously new here, but soon hope to be a regular. Today I am going to look at a 2003 9-5 ARC sedan. It has 36k miles on it, and appears to be in great shape! I have been creeping on your forum for the past few days now, and would like to think I have familiarized myself with the quirks of Saab. However, are there any issues I should keep an eye out for while looking at it? Or anything that I should require be fixed/updated before I purchase?

Thank You in Advance

·
Registered
290 Posts
2003 Arc is on V6 engine. So sludge and head gasket re-torque would not be an issue. The most important thing is to make sure that you know when the most recent timing belt change was -- it has to be done every 60k miles along with idler and tensioner pulleys. Check if there is visible coolant leak around bottom of V, and/or if there is oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Either symptom would suggest oil cooler or oil cooler cap seal broken.

Edit: I did not notice the low miles. So you don't need to worry about timing belt for now.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Even with the low miles, your timing belt is 9 yrs old. I'd replace the belt tensioner and idler on the timing belt system.

Relative Cheap Insurance.

I have 168K on my 2001 V6 and it runs great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts