SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to checkout a 2008 9-3 with just over 100k miles tomorrow to hopefully purchase. Not super familiar with these. What would you guys recommend checking over and getting information on from the previous owner, and what are some common issues with these I should be looking for? Just looking for some things to look for that someone who isn't familiar with Saabs might not know! TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would check his service records. If he spends 1k~2k in the past 12 months, that's acceptable. iIf he spends more than 2k, then I'll appreciate how he treats his Saab. If he spends less than 1k because he does most of jobs himself, then ask him to show you around. Otherwise, expect to spend 2k to bring it back to decent shape right after purchase.
When I bought my 9-3 Aero SC, my previous owner had had spent 6k CAD in the past 6 months. I've spent about 4k CAD in the first 2 year ownership, and just spent 3k CAD for suspension and other repair.

Check any oil leaks, body rust, all motors, fuel gauge, suspension noise, just to name a few.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I dont think the amount spent tells it all.
Check for any lights or msgs on dash, better u scan the car completely with a tech2 or any advanced scanner.
Drive it make sure no vibration during acceleration, shifts smoothly, force to 4th gear and depress accelerator fully starting at 2000rpm all the way to 4000rpm check if it behave normal.
Look at left and right side of the engine for any coolant leaks, make sure it actually has coolant not water.
Check oil cap for any strange colors.
Look down at the power steering pump for leaks.
When u turn ignition ON, make sure u hear the brake pump comes ON wizzzz then shuts for for a couple of minutes (without touching the brakes)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The window regulators, especially the rear door ones, are fragile. Have the owner roll all the windows down and up all the way and listen for any crunching noises that indicate that the plastic pulleys are bad.

I assume that you're going to see a 2.0T 4-banger in the engine bay. That model year is subject to a recall for bad intake valves. Since that's a dealer job it might be worth pulling a CarFax report to see if the car was serviced for that recall as its an expensive repair.

Otherwise, the usual used-car inspection applies (leaks; body/interior condition; tire/brakes/suspension; etc. etc.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The window regulators, especially the rear door ones, are fragile. Have the owner roll all the windows down and up all the way and listen for any crunching noises that indicate that the plastic pulleys are bad.

I assume that you're going to see a 2.0T 4-banger in the engine bay. That model year is subject to a recall for bad intake valves. Since that's a dealer job it might be worth pulling a CarFax report to see if the car was serviced for that recall as its an expensive repair.

Otherwise, the usual used-car inspection applies (leaks; body/interior condition; tire/brakes/suspension; etc. etc.).
Actually this is the v6 option! Anything specific with this I should look for?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the 2.8 but that's a pretty rare (and fun) find and I envy you if its in good shape.

I want to say that it will be XWD but maybe someone know knows for sure will tell us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not too familiar with the 2.8 but that's a pretty rare (and fun) find and I envy you if its in good shape.

I want to say that it will be XWD but maybe someone know knows for sure will tell us.
Glad to say it is both XWD and super clean, so I went ahead and bought it! Pretty excited about this find.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
TurboX is black.
If you have another color, it is Aero.
Congrats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts