SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did score some large pot holes recently, beside that I am hearing some clonking noises (right side) when start from stop light or sometimes when braking (this was present before hot poles).
Alignment done few weeks ago...
Rear right shock tower rusty, I placed some metal shims up and down to hold the shock (temporary), it squeaks but seems to work...
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be looking at the ball joints, especially the lower ones.
Thinking again about this...
there is certainly some loose feel at right front wheel when going over bumps, however I have ball joints checked twice and could not find one bad, that was few weeks ago though. Will check again.
What i wanted to say is that clonking sound mentioned in first post is not ball joint clonk. It sounds more like it is coming from the middle of the car. It looks like there is something loose that will contact some metal sometime I start from stop or when braking at low speed...
One more... there is again a clonk (at front now) which appears at low speed + full right turn, not typical CV join? Could tie rod end sound like that?

I guess my car is going to split apart any moment :cheesy:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thinking again about this...
there is certainly some loose feel at right front wheel when going over bumps, however I have ball joints checked twice and could not find one bad, that was few weeks ago though. Will check again.
What i wanted to say is that clonking sound mentioned in first post is not ball joint clonk. It sounds more like it is coming from the middle of the car. It looks like there is something loose that will contact some metal sometime I start from stop or when braking at low speed...
One more... there is again a clonk (at front now) which appears at low speed + full right turn, not typical CV join? Could tie rod end sound like that?

I guess my car is going to split apart any moment :cheesy:
Could be your track rod, but normally the pressure on the track rods is all one side. The lower ball joint is largely unaffected by the load on your front suspension, and will alter the front steering geometry as it's largely unloaded and can move according to the steering.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked all ball joints again, all good. I think that clonking sound is coming from axle play...
Changed brake pads (right was dragging a bit) and adjusted handbrake.
Rear shock tower patched.

It still pulls to the right :evil:

Next I will check wheel balance and alignment (fourth time in half year period).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After tire swap it started to pull to the left. Balanced the wheels and all fine, I will keep an eye on it.... Previously my wheels are balanced three months ago. Not sure if guys at tire shop are cleaning the rim properly prior to weight attachment, well I am pretty sure they don*t ... add hole or two to that and there you go unbalanced :cheesy:
Lucky that recently installed tires are all good.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That's odd Milos. Sounds like the tyre, assuming all of the other geometry is correct. What about swapping rear tyres/wheels to front to see what the result is? If you can be bothered.

PS Never found an unbalanced wheel made it pull to one side, only vibrate. But there's a first time for everything.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What would I see if I swap fronts to the rear?
Not sure how to check the tires...
I was thinking that it is all fine now because it goes straight.
Guy at the shop told me that unbalanced wheels can make it pull, I would like more that he is right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts