SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every once in awhile I do a nice WOT just to make sure I don't forget the feeling. For awhile now, its felt like timing is being pulled slightly. As I'm flooring it, boost comes in and it pulls strong but there are brief moments where I feel a slight hesitation or pause in the force of the acceleration, as if T5 is kicking in. I'm running 91 octane [the highest I can find here in SLC] so I'm not sure what else may be causing this...other than me having a restrictive IC at the moment. I figured I would be running rich but I didn't know if that would also lead to pulling timing. In the meantime, I'll give Jak a call just to make sure if I get a chance but any help would be great.

Branden

ps - I can already feel the chews about not getting hw before sw, but I don't mind at this point. As long as I know that that's the problem then I'll be ok.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some theories:

- With standard exhaust and dp, your pumped up turbo is having trouble pushing out exhaust gases and you are getting surging. EGTs are maybe too high.

- You are running a little lean possibly.

I experienced similar symptoms on my 99 9-3 w/ MBC-A when I wrung it out in warmer weather. I cut back the boost a little and it seemed better. Seemed more of a warm weather thing than a cold one.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaws said:
Some theories:

- With standard exhaust and dp, your pumped up turbo is having trouble pushing out exhaust gases and you are getting surging. EGTs are maybe too high.

- You are running a little lean possibly.

I experienced similar symptoms on my 99 9-3 w/ MBC-A when I wrung it out in warmer weather. I cut back the boost a little and it seemed better. Seemed more of a warm weather thing than a cold one.
I've got everything stage 3 minus the intercooler i.e. intake, exhaust, software, and I should be running 23psi but since the upgrades, I've yet to go for a boost gauge that goes over 20, so I'm not sure how steadily it's holding at 23.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
How old are the plugs and when was the last time you gapped them?

Pull battery cable, reset ecu and take it for some wot adaption runs.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lms said:
How old are the plugs and when was the last time you gapped them?

Pull battery cable, reset ecu and take it for some wot adaption runs.
Plugs...aren't that old, I don't think. I was planning on giving them a check though. And I did a reset not too terribly long ago, when I added the helper spring to the WG. I'm actually wondering if that's when I began to feel this little hesitation...maybe it's just too much boost to be running without a better flowing IC..
Eithe way, I'll check the plugs. Maybe I'll even switch the DI out with the spare I've got and see. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Plugs 1st.
Dump valve or other vac or boost pipe leaking 2nd.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm..
So no one really thinks it to be the restrictive intercooler? I'll definitely get on the plugs when I'm finished with homework..but I really expected people to start screaming at me about my ho hum intercooler.

Whatever. I'm open to any advice. I'll just check all the hoses while I'm there and see if I find something. Keep up the input, please and thank you. I don't think this is a huge problem but I'd really like to take care of it and be able to pull full force ahead for that minute amount of time I'm missing.

Branden

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hey, what about the intercooler ? :eek:

:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha that's more like it

I did speak with Jak earlier this morning and he couldn't really give me too much of an opinion because it's kind of impossible to fix a car over the phone, but he said the same things - good chance that it's the intercooler...check the gap...swap DI's..
Haven't gotten a chance to check anything yet, but probably tomorrow...any other comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Top-end timing pulling is usually a heat-soak issue
or, in the case of newengland, a winter-mix gas issue.

I forgot to read where you're from, but up here, we have to back off a little power-wise since they start adding crap to our fuels to make them more reliable during the colder months.

It could ALSO be from burning oil. how clean is your intake? have you checked the inside of your IC pipes? sucking in oil (pad PCV, bad turbo...) drasticly reduces octane ratings of fuel.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Since nights are getting pretty cold, I would compare how everything runs when the outside temps are around freezing.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
PMI said:
Since nights are getting pretty cold, I would compare how everything runs when the outside temps are around freezing.
I love this time of year, my car performs like a champ all day long.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G96nt said:
Top-end timing pulling is usually a heat-soak issue
or, in the case of newengland, a winter-mix gas issue.

I forgot to read where you're from, but up here, we have to back off a little power-wise since they start adding crap to our fuels to make them more reliable during the colder months.

It could ALSO be from burning oil. how clean is your intake? have you checked the inside of your IC pipes? sucking in oil (pad PCV, bad turbo...) drasticly reduces octane ratings of fuel.
Yeah, that's what I figured...about heatsoak..

Right now I'm in Salt Lake City for school, but I live in Kansas City, MO.
Hmm. Burning oil. That would really brighten my day. I haven't checked my intake, PCV etc. lately, but when I was back home and couldn't figure out why my car smoked every once in awhile, I swapped out with the other T25 I had laying around and so I'd hope it's not the turbo..I could check the other things, though, but hopefully it's not any of them.
My car telling me that it's hot and wants to breathe better sounds better - more motivation to hurry up and save up for my damn IC.
Very soon...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts