SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
So I'm going to pull the engine on my 89 900T. The 5spd needs a new reverse gear, and the rest of the car is in perfect shape, so it's worth it.
I've pulled a couple of engines before, 89 VW fox and a 59 Chevy truck, but never a saab.
Any suprises in store? Anything bentley won't tell me about?
Any little tricks you all have learned from experience? Anybody want to come help?
Also, anything you guys can think of that I should do while the engine is out and the tranny is off? Things that are easiest with the engine out, I mean. I'm thinking of replacing the lifters.
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm writing to say that I will be MOST interested in hearing the replies to your post. I think that after it's all said and done, this post will, or should be archived for future reference.

Siggy

·
Registered
223 Posts
I`ve just spent the past two days removing and refitting the engine on my 16v.

In my case it was to replace the timing chain and guides - it would be well worth your while checking the wear on the chain/guides; since the guides can only be replaced with the engine out.

Overall the engine removal was quite straightforward; and I now have a VERY quiet C900 engine - sounds great! :cool:

I`m sure the Bently Manual will cover the engine removal quite well.

Ben.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's pretty straightforward- my biggest problem was getting the little pin out of the shift linkage before pulling the engine out. I ended up disconnecting the linkage further back because the pin was stuck so tightly. The Bentley manual helps a lot- it makes everything very clear. While the engine is out, I'd check all the seals, check the crank pulley for wear, and if you haven't put new belts in for a while, might as well do them too. I also replaced all the coolant hoses and am in the process of putting new engine mounts in. Everything is easier while the engine is out, so you might as well do as much as you can.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you are only pulling it to replace the reverse gear, you might want to check out the Townsend reverse gear fix. When I bought this 900 the reverse gear was completely gone. After doing the Townsend fix I have good reverse gear engagement. It pops out occasionally, but I expect to get another year or two out of the tranny before I have to replace the gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts