SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe I shouldn't be bragging, but yesterday I smoked a 2004 Mustang GT. I was passing the Mustang on the interstate. During the attempted pass, my speed was about 72 mph. As soon as I was along side of the Mustang, he punched the throttle and the race was on. I threw my sentronic tranny in 4th gear and pushed the throttle to the floor. After hitting 85 mph, I quickly began to pull away from the Mustang. After handing his butt to him, I let off the throttle and allowed the Mustang to catch up to me and to pass. As he passed me, he looked over with this look that said, "What does that Saab have under the hood?" Anyway, he couldn't believe that a four-door sports sedan outran his sportscar. :cool:

·
Registered
846 Posts
indysaaber said:
Maybe I shouldn't be bragging, but yesterday I smoked a 2004 Mustang GT. I was passing the Mustang on the interstate. During the attempted pass, my speed was about 72 mph. As soon as I was along side of the Mustang, he punched the throttle and the race was on. I threw my syntronic tranny in 4th gear and pushed the throttle to the floor. After hitting 85 mph, I quickly began to pull away from the Mustang. After handing his butt to him, I let off the throttle and allowed the Mustang to catch up to me and to pass. As he passed me, he looked over with this look that said, "What does that Saab have under the hood?" Anyway, he couldn't believe that a four-door sports outran his sportscar. :cool:
lol

Its always interesting to see how Saab competes against cars that (on paper) should dominate

I had a similar experince with a Mustang GT but the roles were reversed. He was trying to pass me (and everyone else) rather agressively as if he was king of the road. I wouldnt let him pass - and he kept pace until higher speeds when he began to struggle to keep up. Finally cut behind me and cursed me with his brights and horn....then took the very next exit off the highway

The GT was pushed...by a Linear! No suprise it was soundly beaten by an ARC :cool:

·
Registered
846 Posts
OOHYA said:
Anyway, he couldn't believe that a four-door sports outran his sportscar.

UHM,

Mustang is NOT a Sportscar.
Whatever it is...its a v8 w/300hp getting slapped around by 4cyl Saab. Thats the beauty of it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
beat a Lexus IS 300

My friend has a Lexus IS 300 sport tuned (what ever that means) and we were even from a dead start, by the time we were in 3rd gear I was pulling away. He was impressed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My manual linear shares similiar experience...from a roll (2nd gear for me), i took my friends mustang gt convertible (02). he was going nuts...mad as hell

another friends wrx opened a can of whoop *** on me though (stock then, now he has over 350hp to the wheels, thing is sick)...after he hit 2nd, he was gone. I launched well too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe it must have something to do with the combination of nice tranny gearing in 1st and 2nd and peak torque coming at only 2500 rpm. My Linear feels (butt dyno) faster from a dead stop than my old 350Z. And I've beaten the pants off several cars with more HP at stoplights.:eek:

I think Saab's engineers have really done things right with the engine/tranny tuning on this car. It reminds me of the old Eclipse GS-T from the late 90's.:cheesy:

·
Registered
286 Posts
As a Mustang owner (89 5.0 300+ bhp) I can atest that the Mustangs are geared for fuel economy from the factory, which always leaves the car out of its power curve. With our little 4 cyl 9-3s, that is not an issue so we get the benefit of lower gearing. $180 bucks on a decent set of gears and I don't see how any Saab could take one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having driven a Mustang around California and Nevada I can confirm that they are not the quickest cars though great fun and the engine noise is far superior to the Saab. The biggest suprise for me was that the Mustang pretty much ran out of steam at 100mph and woudl go no faster even with my foot to the floor which might explain how you were abel to fly past in the Saab.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i really don't see how a saab could take a mustang either. maybe if it was on a long a** track in the long run, but not messing around on the highway. unless it was a 16 yr old who didn't know how to drive. all of my friends drive mustang gt's, and i hate every one of them, but i really don't think a saab could hang with a mustang....two completely different types of cars. who knows maybe i am wrong. wrx too? sounds unlikey as well. then again, maybe i am totally wrong, because countless times i have passed fast cars....and they slow down with their jaws open because they know my saab looks better than their supposedly fast american car :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
PfeiF said:
i really don't see how a saab could take a mustang either. maybe if it was on a long a** track in the long run, but not messing around on the highway. unless it was a 16 yr old who didn't know how to drive. all of my friends drive mustang gt's, and i hate every one of them, but i really don't think a saab could hang with a mustang....two completely different types of cars. who knows maybe i am wrong. wrx too? sounds unlikey as well. then again, maybe i am totally wrong, because countless times i have passed fast cars....and they slow down with their jaws open because they know my saab looks better than their supposedly fast american car :)
The Crustang is geared to get moving. The Arc is set up to get moving... once it is moving.
~D.J.~

·
Registered
895 Posts
my thoughts exactly. when i dusted this kid in that WRX, he caught up at the next red light, w/ a shiz eatting grin, saying "damn, that thing moves!" so i doubt that he was taking it easy.

1 note, sorry, i forgot to include in the first post. we were already moving when we went for it. probably about 30 mph.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Bunch of malarchy! Either the 'Stang was playing with you or the guy was on the phone with his wife/GF.:roll:

I threw my sentronic tranny in 4th gear and pushed the throttle to the floor. After hitting 85 mph, I quickly began to pull away from the Mustang.
Now I know he was toying with you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Being an proud speeder. Yes it is true, the car moves on the highway, no question. Shockin for a linear. But i do have great joy in being able to stay ahead or pace with BMW Mseries cars, Lexus cars etc... Even dusted a Maxima. I wont say for forum rules the speeds I was reaching but I'll just say I was surprised the car could go so fast. By the way, proper tire inflation makes a HUGE difference with this car. Make sure all the tires are inflated right.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Saab;s have generally been known to suck off the line but above 35mph, very few cars on the road can out accelerate a properly tuned 4 cylinder saab turbo...

Check out Top Gear's review of the 9-5 Aero, the 40-70mph is faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo. I believe that 9-5 has the same engine as the Viggen.

I think this is actually a great SAFETY feature for Saab in passing speed and accident avoidance.

·
Banned
975 Posts
I've absolutely demolished mustangs, I even beat an older supercharged one. I've also beat a few eclipses (turbod), honduhs (thats a given), a firebird, one of the new cadi STSs, a camaro, the list goes on and on. The ONLY car that has beaten me so far was a 2001ish z06 corvette :cry: It was still fun though =)

PLZ note however that I live in Colorado, we're a mile above sea level so the larger displacement engines = the complete suck up here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.