SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was going to change my tranny fluid when i pulled the wrong bolt. And basically i cannot get it to go back in. it is the 12mm head that faces straight down into the subframe on the driver's side. Im wondering what the heck it does, as it doesnt seem to hold anything together from the outside.

Please tell me there isnt an "auto-destruct" bolt on these things ;oops:

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay from what little mention of this bolt i can find it has to do with the reverse gear. Since i thought it was the drain plug i moved the jacked the rear of the car up and moved the wheels slightly.

Anyone know what to do to get this thing back in?!?!?!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, I think you should be in the Classic 900 forum. Sorry, but I don't know how to move your post, maybe has to be a MOD? Good luck anyway :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Could the bolt hole and the bolt itself be dirty? I know that in other cars I've had engine to tranny bolts to go from being a pain to get in to way too easy to insert by just chasing the threads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh, so the concern is that you have internally misaligned something...
If it were me I would try anything I could think of including having someone assist by rotating the rear wheels a little in both directions while you try to thread the bolt back in place.
Id be hesitant to shift gears until all else fails.
Again, be patient and explore all options. Persistance will usually pay off.

·
Registered
13,106 Posts
There aren't any bolts that don't do anything.
What year and model?
Is this an automatic or manual?
What do you mean by "subframe"? Picture?
What's "facing down"?

All locations (left, right, front, back...) are always from the perspective of the driver sitting in his seat. Please avoid "nearside", "to the left if you're lying under the dash" etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay this is not a c900 but an ng900. Its shouldnt have been moved.

'96 Ng900 Turbo with a 5 speed.

I found a thread on saabnet but the guy was fortunate enough to not have moved the car. http://saabnet.com/tsn/bb/NG900/index.html?bID=248901

Here is what im talking about:

This is with the left side (driver in the u.s.) tranny mount in the picture. Its the gaping hole, bottom center.

and here it is again. The actual drain plug would be just outside of the very bottom left corner of the picture.

This might just take a ton of patience to figure out.

Note to everyone!!! DO NOT PULL THIS BOLT!!! The culprit: 12mm facing straight down on the tranny.

·
Registered
13,106 Posts
Because the shaft it's threaded into, and is supposed to lock in place, can move.
Using a Phillips screwdriver, gently pry the threaded portion until it lines up with the bolt hole. Put a dab of some kind (any kind) of sealer on the bolt to prevent oil leaks.

Left and right remain the same, US or UK.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim Mesthene said:
Because the shaft it's threaded into, and is supposed to lock in place, can move.
Using a Phillips screwdriver, gently pry the threaded portion until it lines up with the bolt hole. Put a dab of some kind (any kind) of sealer on the bolt to prevent oil leaks.

Left and right remain the same, US or UK.
I've been trying this but it seems rather stuck, maybe its going to just take more force.

And yes i wanted to avoid any and all confusion. Ive seen some poeple say directions as if they're looking at the engine, not from the driver's seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts