SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

yesterday I noticed something that concernes me alot. Sometimes after I have accelarated (normal accelaration like in city traffic) when I step of I get a big puff of blue smoke out the back!!!
There is no smoke on accelaration or when driving in a even pace.

Any ideas?

PS: Its the 2,3 t (170 PS) automatic with approx 150000 km on it, and the occasional puff on engine startup.

Rocky

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Time for an upgrade ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid of that...

I am going to check the PCV tomorrow just to get some piece of mind before I do anything else.

If the turbo is going, how long can I wait before getting a new one? Can anything else go wrong if I wait before changing the turbo (cat, etc)?

If I want to upgrade (I have read that the low pressure (Garret was it?) isnt as good as the high pressure, what turbo to buy? (PS: Im quite happy with the cars performance as it is...)

Rocky

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
There is a small, but possible senario that if the turbo blows completely pieces of it could fly into the engine :eek:

However its more likely that the seals will go completely and you will fill the skies with smoke, plus lose power, mind you this could take ages, or happen tomorrow :confused:

The mitsubishi TD04 (Aero) turbo is more reliable, but could provide you with more turbo lag if the ECU is standard :cry:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed the valve in the PCV-system on friday because it was broken. Since then there is still smoke on startup and after acceleration, but so often.:confused: I will drive it for some weeks and see if the problem get worse.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am having the same problem. this weekend i pulled up beside some girls at a red light and all that i saw was a huge cloud of smoke. i was so embarassed. I am getting the smoke on startup and occasionally at a idle. I checked the pcv hoses, and they were very gummy. I am going today to drop it off at the dealership to let them have a look. if the turbo is going bad, i am getting a bigger one. Are there any other turbos besides the gt17 and td04 that will fit... maybe with a little fabrication?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Depends how much fabrication you're willing to do. The TD04 is a bigger unit so will take slightly longer to spool up, it will also require a couple of extra pipes to be fitted. Getting a hybrid version of either the GT17 or the TD04 is probably the best way to go, it avoids having to fabricate a mounting flange for the turbo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
will i have to have my ecu reprogrammed in order for it to work? also, if i go with a tdo4, will bring to aero performance, except for suspension? if not, what are the other differences? i really want to blow some doors off!:evil:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The bigger turbo wont give you more power you do need the ECU remapped too ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Its about 1 month since I first noticed blue smoke after acceleration, and now the problem is gone!!!

When I first noticed it I had just changed the oil and filter, and now approx 4000 km later no smoke after acceleration. It seems that the oil-level in the engine "controls" the amount of blue smoke. It also seems that the engine uses more oil when the oil-level is on max. Now the dipstick says the oil-level is half (in the middle betveen max and min). :confused: :confused: :confused:

It looks like the oilconsumption decreases when the level goes down. I change every 10000 km, fill to max (approx 4 liters), check the oil regulary and refill when level is close to min (normally approx 1 liter on 10000 km), but then the puffing starts again.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Any comments??

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If you keep the oil level halfway between MIN and MAX does it still use a lot of oil? I've never had to put oil in mine in 3 years. :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, it does not use a lot of oil when it half-full. I was thinking maybe the dipstick was wrong, but when I change the oil I use approx 4 liters to get the level to max. Isn't 4 liters when changing oil and filter???

Hopefully the engine can live with the level beeing half...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Correct, 4 litres inc filter on changing. If the engine smokes less with the oil level in between MIN and MAX, then i'd be inclined to run that way. Just monitor the oil level on a regular basis and keep a spare litre with you should you need it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And that is what I intend to do.:)

Ps: Ready to go to the U2 concert in Oslo now. Just hoping it doesn't start to rain this evening.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts