SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Let me start off by saying I've recently purchased a 2001 93, and I absolutely love it! (Sorry, no pics as of yet.) My first Saab, and what a fun little doll she is. :D I've been doing a little lurking around here when I have free time. I have a lot to learn, but the readers here seem helpful and quite taken with their cars as well. Hence, my decision to register and post.

Every so often I've noticed a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust after I fire her up. The engine doesn't feel like it stutters, and no lights come on (other than the usual check during ignition). It's more likely to happen first thing in the morning, although it can happen if I let it sit all day. I read somewhere on here that you should let the engine idle a little before shutting off (I believe for the sake of the turbo?) which I typically do. That seems to have no bearing on the smoke. I've been feeding her a steady diet of 90 grade fuel (the manual says it adjusts, but I figured it's best to stick with one type), but I've thought about bumping up to the 93 to see if that changes things. It also doesn't seem to matter if I've run the AC on the previous drive or not.

So, is this something to worry about? Am I just smitten and overprotective? And just what causes this? Also, any other words of wisdom for a new Saab owner?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Blue smoke from the exaust usually means that oil is making its way into the combustion chamber. Most common source the problem is valve seal or the piston ring. Take it to a good mechanic and he should be able to determine where the leak is coming from by pressuring the combustion chamber.

There's no immediate danger of damaging your engine, however this type of problem should be looked after since the performance of your engine will gradually degrade and eventually, things like catalytic convert, o2 sensor, spark plugs, will get fouled and stop working.

BTW, did you switch engine oil from mineral to synthetic recently? Also, using a slighly higher viscosity oil may help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is th smoke almost immediate on start or after a few seconds and does it clear up?

immediate may indicate oil in head.

after a few seconds indicates turbo is getting worn ( i had this problem) and required a new turbo. this occurs only after engine has been off for a while and oil seeping through center bearings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same car (if you have the base version) and had the same problem. After the PCV system was overhauled by the dealer and the problem was not rectified, the turbo was replaced. No more smoke. I wonder if there is some problem with the GT-17? Perhaps the PO missed an oil change before it was CPO'd?

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts