SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something to keep a heads-up on:

My 9-2 Linear just passed 20k miles a week or so ago (got it back in Aug and have put nothing but highway miles on it). Shortly after hitting 20k miles, I noticed a fluttering coming from the engine compartment whenever I hit 3k RPM and above. It sounded pretty much like a fan was maybe a little loose or something like that. The odd part - that made me disspell the fan theory - was that it was linked to the rpm.

So I dropped it off tuesday and They've said I won't get it back probably until mid next week! They ordered a new engine block, exhaust, exhaust seals, and some other parts. Basically they're rebuilding a new engine for my car!!! They haven't said the issue, so I'm waiting to find out.

It got all it's scheduled service and has been treated excellently (it's a family car for crying out loud). So who knows what the issue is. Hopefully (for all your sakes) it's an isolated issue. But watch out around 20k miles...

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is, for the most part, the same engine that has been manufactured for Subaru WRXes around the world for years. It is known to be quite strong -- especially when driven normall (some WRX owners dump the clutch more often than they should, which causes extra valvetrain stress).

I suspect this is an isolated incident and not something to work anyone up over. When the dealer takes it in without questioning you or making you feel like you did something wrong it probably means they have something which clearly appears to be their fault (I am speculating here). For example, if the oilpan has a leak from overtorquing the bolt and the service history showes that it was in a week ago. I can come up with a multitude of possible reasons.

Really, I have nothing to add to this thread except this: Don't work yourself up over a single incident.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard of somethign similar with another manfactured car. It wasn't mine but a 2000 Acura integra was making slicing noise and runnign hard at 4000+ RPM at 10k miles. Upon the dealer removing the head he had seen a faulty set of rings on one piston of the car. the other 3 were perfect, and they guy got a new motor out of it.

As far as the clutch drops go, I dont' see how they could affect teh drivetrain, I do however see how they could affect the headgasket, and the rings easily though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't mean to work anyone up. Just wanted to put it out there in case someone else comes across it, they'll know it's not just them.

I agree, seems pretty unlikely to be a far flung problem though.

anyway, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not An Isolated Incident

Actually, it's not an "isolated" incident.

my car is going through this right now. exact same problem, and i have no idea how it got the way it is. however, i didn't get the first oil change until too late, but not by that much, and so saab isn't going to help me at all. i've been wracking my brain for two months trying to figure out how to get a new engine, because saab said I have to pay 7000 dollars for mine. i know for a fact that some subaru owners have the same thing in their cars. your post didn't get me worked up, i've just been naturally frustrated about it. i've been talking to mechanics, and they've all said the same thing i already thought. they've never seen an oil change missed by a couple thousand miles, or even more according to some of them, cause a need for a new engine that fast.

the dealership had the car about two weeks before i took it in for the noise, for a bad O2 sensor, and did the 15,000 mile service, and nobody found any problems then. the oil change i missed was the 7500 mile one, and i did ALL highway driving on off times, since when i bought the car i worked midnights in a place 110 miles round trip from my house. I called the customer service hotline, and when they called the dealership, the rep from the dealership even lied about what they told me and put in writing on the write-up from the service, and i can prove that. yet since i didn't get the oil change, they still won't help me.

Like i said, NOT an isolated incident.;oops:

If you ever do find out what is specifically wrong with your car, please post on here, since the dealership told me that they don't know specifically and said it isn't worth them finding out. according to them, they don't "repair" engines, they can only replace them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/04rs-drivetrain.html

If they are going to make you pay 7k for this I'd say buy this ad get some pistons for your 10:1 compression ratio, and have it machined and put back togehter to work with a better then stock setup. In the end it'd still be cheaper, just an opinion. THis and a new set of heads of have yours remand would be cheaper. So much for warranty claims, at that point. IMO you'd end up with a much better block, and a better setup when all is said and done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
tell you the truth, i'm not going to do either. i think i'm just going to find some non-dealership to do the engine repair, and keep it until i find a deal somewhere else. if i have to buy a used engine, i'm gonna be upset...but can do nothing about it. i'm gonna try to put as little money into this as possible. such a shame that i'm having such a bad experience with this on a car that i absolutely love otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, sorry to hear it's NOT so isolated. The dealer is trying to tell me that it's an oil change issue, and it's needs to be more frequent... I've had previous (not new) cars that I've neglected the crap out of and NONE have needed an engine replacement. Here's a new car that I'm babying and it already needs a new engine? hmmm, I'm thinking it's not simply an oil change issue.

The dealer said they're pushing it through even though SAAB balked at it. Dealer told them it's a new product (for SAAB) and they don't have enough experience, so they're just going to take care of it under warranty. I'm glad they're not hassling me with finger pointing and all, but it's annoying nonetheless.

So over a week has passed, and when I called today they tell me the engine is on nationwide backorder... Hmmmm. So are there that many issues with it??? so who knows WHEN I'll be getting my car back at this point. I'm stuck in a POS rental - not even a dealer car. I'm not happy.

It's a COMPLETE long shot, but I'm going to inquire about the availablility of the aero engine...Figure they're more popular than the linear, so maybe more available to be dropped in. Don't know what the added cost would be to me, but worth checking into I suppose...

I'll keep this thread posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WEll that puts a damper on things....

Either way, good luck and if you're that unhappy, its gettign close to lemon law time, if you chose to persue it. I'd hate to see it happen, but you gotta protect your investment, (which obviosly isn't being served for your deal atm.)

WEll here's another option, though I knwo you'll hate this one its another possiblity.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Clearance/Clearance.htm

I know what you're htinkign clearence, I've spoken to a few WRX/STi friends that I have and most have heard nothign but good things from them.

Also note, They have an '05 USDM drive by wire Ej25 SOHC

Good luck with the purchasing. This is a complete motr and witha new car I knwo I could make it nice and do a good install. I'm used to 3-8 years old and beaten the hell out of, but I'd love to get into that kidn of situation.

Later and good luck again.

Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should rephrase - I'm not happy with the situation (ie, being w/o my saab that I'm still making payments on, and stuck with a crappy rental for an unknown amount of time).

I love my 92x - just can't wait to get it back. VERY thankful they're taking care of it and not trying to put the onus of a $7k engine on me!

Just dissapointed to be in the situation. I miss my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is definetly not an isolated accident. I just picked up my car on 8/1... it has less then 100 miles... and guess what!?!?! My mother has a 2005 2.5RS Wagon... which is essentially exactly the same car, and I've driven it plenty of times. She does not have the same fluttering sound. My Saab does. I can definetly tell there is something wrong with the internals. And it comes on around 3K rpm. I havn't even had it for 2 days total... and already problems...:evil:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm at a month...Still waiting to get my 9-2 back...

The engine had been on nation-wide backorder. They finally got it and the rest of the necessary parts on friday of last week. So now they've gotta put it all back together.

I sure hope I don't have to deal with this again.
On the upside, I will have the 20k miles virtually erased from my car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fluttering sound? This is my first H4 and I'm just getting used to the normal operating sounds. I have nothing to compare it to.

Every once in a while during acceleration, I swear I can hear a sound like an unbalanced fan. It comes and goes.

Could you please post the official diagnosis from the Saab dealer? What did they attribute to? Bad piston ring? Manufacturing defect?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, they initially tried half heartedly to pin it on me - "You GOTTA get it in for regular oil changes!" me: "Uh, check your records. I have. All right here in your shop." them:"well, anyway, we're waiting on the new engine..."

So they took care of things, no questions asked, under warranty. If it were something that I'd done (I've nothing but babied the car) I presume they would have pushed back SOMEWHAT.

My consensus is they know it was something that wasn't right, and they are taking care of it as they should. I'm thankful they've not fought me on it.

I pick it up this evening - FINALLY - so will see if they give me a straight story...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had the car for 3 days. If I hear a squeek out of them there will be heck to pay. I don't even take the car past 4K rpm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THE VERDICT - Straight from the dealership paperwork:

#1 Rod BRG Failed - Marred Crankshaft
Replace shortblock assembly

Ordered the following parts:
Gasket
gasketexhpiperr
eng gskt&seal k
short engine ay
subaru sealer
stpr/main sft
gasket drain pl
oil filter elem

So seems like things are good now.
I did just notice (on my drive home for lunch) that when I slow down in 2nd gear, right between 3500-3000 rpm, there's a slightly different tone as the engine winds down. But only in 2nd, and only between 3500-3000 rpm.

I'm going to email the service guy I've been working with to find out if that's to be expected, or something they need to review...
But otherwise, I'm back in business. Man I missed my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, I took it in last friday. Here's the diagnosis.....'normal engine noise'. Looks to me that I will be going to several mechanics and have them write me up a diagnosis. Stay tuned, I have a feeling this story is going to get more interesting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SaabaruRS said:
Well, I took it in last friday. Here's the diagnosis.....'normal engine noise'. Looks to me that I will be going to several mechanics and have them write me up a diagnosis. Stay tuned, I have a feeling this story is going to get more interesting.
Here's the problem. How do Saab techs know exactly how a Subaru H4 is supposed to sound? If anything, see if you can get a Subie tech to take a look see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Suba-Saab said:
Here's the problem. How do Saab techs know exactly how a Subaru H4 is supposed to sound? If anything, see if you can get a Subie tech to take a look see.
exactly, they don't. but u don't have to be a saab specific mechanic to know when there is a foreign sound in the engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts