1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys (and Girls)

Just bought my first (lovely) Saab :D .

A 95 Aero HOT Hirsh Troll R.

Now, I wanna find out a bit more about the history (Provenance) of the car, what was done to it, upgrade-wise. When I bought it, 2 weeks ago now, the guys said it was a 310 BHP upgrade with everything done except the leather seats!? It has the 18inch wheels, humongous front calipers and disks, body kit, racing cats, SS exhaust and I am told it has a larger Turbo, better IC and a big valve head? Oh, and a carbon fibre dash and door strips With TROLL on them and brushed steel stereo bezel an those snazzy pedals.... phew, sooo much to list.

Also, he said that this car was one of the first into the UK in 2002, one of only 20 used by Reading SAAB as a demonstrator that went around the UK (hence the 100k on the clock in 6 years) to promote the car at other dealers.

I have called Reading Saab for brief chat and they can not see any paper records past 3 years but did say the £5467 worth of upgrades were done at the time.

How can I verify/check all this or go further with someone else?

Cheers people....

Steve :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sounds interesting but if its their ex demo they ought to know more than anyone else :confused:

Welcome by the way :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Chris

Yeah, that's what I thought but I hit a brick wall with them. They (she) did not have access to any more detailed info other than what was on the screen.

Darn computers, i thought they was supposed to help us.....

Steve

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Were they the sellers?

If not what info did the seller have on the upgrades?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they used it as a demonstrator then they sold it on once they had finished with it, the V5 says 2 previous owners. The woman also quoted the £5467 for some work done on it in March 2002, we assumed that was for the Hirsh upgrades. It was registered around that same time so I presume the upgrades were done at inception/new.

Although, I got the impression from the guy in the garage I bought it from (he was a good chap though) that the Hirsh upgrades were done at Hirsh, as part of these original 20 then brought over to Reading Saab and used as demo to promote them. I guess he was wrong.

I know to take all this flannel with a pinch of salt....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Reading Saab have been Hirsch approved installers for some time, so I'd guess they fitted it up too......

Interesting innit!

Was she a bargain? What colour?

And wheres the pictures :p

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Banned
318 Posts
Sewingkit said:
Now, I wanna find out a bit more about the history (Provenance) of the car, what was done to it, upgrade-wise. When I bought it, 2 weeks ago now, the guys said it was a 310 BHP upgrade with everything done except the leather seats!? It has the 18inch wheels, humongous front calipers and disks, body kit, racing cats, SS exhaust and I am told it has a larger Turbo, better IC and a big valve head? Oh, and a carbon fibre dash and door strips With TROLL on them and brushed steel stereo bezel an those snazzy pedals.... phew, sooo much to list.
Hi,

Sounds like it's got the full "pre-Saab" Hirsch Troll R kit, which includes:

- 331 mm front discs (believe the calipers are Brembos, via MovIt)
- Garrett T28 turbo (non ball bearing)
- Large aluminum IC (stock position)
- Hirsch large inlet pipe
- Modified airbox
- 3,5 bar FPR
- 3" stainless exhaust w/ sports catalyst

Apart from those mods, and a custom software, it's stock enginewise.

If I remember correctly your car will have 310 hp/440 Nm, as opposed to 305 hp/420 Nm for the Saab Performance by Hirsch version.

Best regards,

KK

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes,yes,yes

Pics,man,give us pics,the only mod you need is new Aero wipers!:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
KKAero said:
Hi,

Sounds like it's got the full "pre-Saab" Hirsch Troll R kit, which includes:

- 331 mm front discs (believe the calipers are Brembos, via MovIt)
- Garrett T28 turbo (non ball bearing)
- Large aluminum IC (stock position)
- Hirsch large inlet pipe
- Modified airbox
- 3,5 bar FPR
- 3" stainless exhaust w/ sports catalyst

Apart from those mods, and a custom software, it's stock enginewise.

If I remember correctly your car will have 310 hp/440 Nm, as opposed to 305 hp/420 Nm for the Saab Performance by Hirsch version.

Best regards,

KK
Concour with KK re the spec for an early Troll R.

If it has got a modded head, it's been done at a later date.

Sadly, most modern dealers don't keep any records for sales these days beyond the 3 years of the warrenty period, unlike years ago in the pre computer age when invoices etc were usually put in archive boxes and put in a cupboard in a corner to gather dust for a decade or so.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Guys,
Thank you for replies especially KK for the specs and history,

Apologies for not being around, was off the net for a few days.

I will get some pictures as soon as possible, do not have a camera ya see but I have the original sales pictures from the Dealer on my Girlfriends laptop, so will also get them.

Yes, the dealer said it was 310 BHP so I could could not figure out the difference between that and the 300BHP kits on the Hirsh site. Now it is clear, thanks KK.

Yes, it is is a lovely car and so quick. I have just come out of a Scorpio Cosworth 24 V6 (frog eye model, first car!:eek: ) and that was quick but different, to slow on the accelaration and felt a bit "wonky, wobbly" on the bends. Where as this one holds so well when going round the curvesnot to mention the amazing accelaration. BUT, two things I find negative, BOY, does it drink the juice!!!!! and the front wheel drive takes some getting used too (only been driving 2 years:p) for the torque steering, just need to keep the foot off the pedal.

It cost me £5895, 2 previous owners on the V5, 99,000 miles when bought but just rolled over to 100k. But is very good condition.

I have to be honest, i will keep an eye on the fuel consumption and if it get ridiculous I may have to part with it. Painful I know as every time I look at it I get all squiffy inside knowing that it will give Boxters, M3, Impreza and run for their money.....

I wanna keep it.... may have to get another job just so I can :lol: .

Steve

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
What fuel figures are you getting?

Manual or Auto ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris,

Auto!

Went to Bristol the other day to pick up my daughter, got these with strict cruise control with cleared MPG settings...

At 60, 38/40
At 65, 35/36
At 70, 32/34
At 75, 28/30

Around town/winding country roads with a lot of stop/starting, not even worth mentioning it is, I can watch the fuel gauage go down!!!

The motorway figures are acceptable but the around town and slightly heavy foot figures are silly but to be expected I suppose. I got about the same in the Scorpio with the Cosworth V6 2.9. I am trying to get used easing off the gas pedal when going around town or winding country roads, etc, makes it more bearable.

This is all purely subjective I suppose as all of it was to be expected. The motorways figures are slightly better than the Scorpio as long as i'm a good boy:cheesy:

Went for Auto as that is what I am used too, cant go back to a manual now. Passed test in a manual but jumped straight into the Scorpio which was an Auto. Far too many pedals and things to think about as once! :)

Steve

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its the auto bit that really kills them :confused:

I know Kermit has an auto is seeing 13-15mpg in very heavy traffic in his Stage 2 Maptun tuned car :eek:

Mine give amazing fuel economy but I am certain its largely due to being a manual :confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sometimes the crown is heavy...
May be bigger turbo makes it burn more fuel?
Not many people around with Hirsched cars to compare.
After conversion to 2.3 mine seems to be less thirsty ,today after stupid 30 km highway chase with 180-220 kmh on cleared computer it was 13.4 L/100 km.
May be because aircon was shut off now,but before average consumption at that speed was over 14L/100km.
Try to transfer it in MPG,as I do after reading your posts:p!
No matter of consumption I'm sure that it is very nice car to drive,good luck with it.

G

·
Sewingkit said:
Chris,

Auto!

Went to Bristol the other day to pick up my daughter, got these with strict cruise control with cleared MPG settings...

At 60, 38/40
At 65, 35/36
At 70, 32/34
At 75, 28/30

Around town/winding country roads with a lot of stop/starting, not even worth mentioning it is, I can watch the fuel gauage go down!!!

The motorway figures are acceptable but the around town and slightly heavy foot figures are silly but to be expected I suppose. I got about the same in the Scorpio with the Cosworth V6 2.9. I am trying to get used easing off the gas pedal when going around town or winding country roads, etc, makes it more bearable.

This is all purely subjective I suppose as all of it was to be expected. The motorways figures are slightly better than the Scorpio as long as i'm a good boy:cheesy:

Went for Auto as that is what I am used too, cant go back to a manual now. Passed test in a manual but jumped straight into the Scorpio which was an Auto. Far too many pedals and things to think about as once! :)

Steve
Winding, curvy, countryside roads will be very difficult to get good fuel consumption numbers. Add in the automatic and driving style and your numbers will just not be good. Your turbo being larger will help a little as it takes more spent gas than a stock unit to get the turbo to wake up- but the 28 still is known to spool ealry.
To the opposite affect...I have a Garrett 3076 with taller cams and a manual tranny and if I really try hard I can get over 500 miles to a tank and easily get 460-470. 50% if my driving is relatively flat highway speeds 65 mph'ish, 25% secondary roads and 25% back roads. The key is to watch the boost gauge and keep it as deep in the vacuum side as possible.
Good luck staying off the throttle;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do you drive it in 'sport' mode too much?:cheesy:

P

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sport mode

Nope, have only had it 3 weeks now only touched the button 3/4 times. But no, not really. To be honest I feel you just dont need it wih this car, too scary.

I remember the other day putting it in Sport mode, trundling along at 30 and pressed gently down on the accelerator, GROWL!!!! whoosh!!! I am sure it grunted at me in a feral manner, it just felt so powerful.

So, no sport mode. Too scary for me :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts