SaabCentral Forums banner

Properly checking transmission fluid?

810 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Diggs 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain how to properly check the transmission fluid level? I don't have access to a lift so the only way to remove the dipstick is by raising the front end and getting it from beneath the engine. However, the WIS says to check the level with the engine running and the car level (obviously). I can access the dipstick by removing the turbocharger delivery hose, but is it safe to run the engine (in idle) with this detached? Can I check the level with the engine off and still get an accurate reading (and if so, why does the WIS instruct to check it with the engine on)? Car is a 2006 9-3 2.0t SS with a B207R engine.

#3 ·
I have large hands so I cannot physically get them down there. Looks like I need an assistant lol. In the past I've just dropped a rope down there with a slip knot and pulling the dipstick out, but the rope tends to break first and it's a pain getting it on the dipstick (it's even worse trying to put the dipstick back!). If it just needs to be warmed up then I can let it run for a few minutes and shut it off and disconnect the hose and reach the dipstick.

#4 ·
When changing my transmission fluid and needing to measure I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/SE-8036TM-NEW-Telescoping-Magnetic-Capacity/dp/B000RB3XBA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=RIIXGI3E7UN9&keywords=telescoping+magnetic+pickup+tool&qid=1565923047&s=gateway&sprefix=telescoping+ma%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-3 It's the closest thing to the actual SAAB tool. First, lie on your back or whatever and remove the transmission dipstick. Start the engine and let it warm up with the car on a level surface. Then lightly tape the top of the transmission dipstick to the magnetic head of the telescoping tool, then carefully, with steady hands and standing in front of the car, feed it down between the hoses and into the transmission neck/hole. I do this several times to get an average. (Remember to remove the o-ring for an accurate reading according to the WIS.)

#5 ·
When changing my transmission fluid and needing to measure I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/SE-8036TM-NE...gateway&sprefix=telescoping+ma,aps,204&sr=8-3 It's the closest thing to the actual SAAB tool. First, lie on your back or whatever and remove the transmission dipstick. Start the engine and let it warm up with the car on a level surface. Then lightly tape the top of the transmission dipstick to the magnetic head of the telescoping tool, then carefully, with steady hands and standing in front of the car, feed it down between the hoses and into the transmission neck/hole. I do this several times to get an average. (Remember to remove the o-ring for an accurate reading according to the WIS.)
I have one of those and I've used it to help guide the dipstick back in but never thought of using it like that. Thank you.

#7 ·
I found a long rod (4' or so) that I can wedge into the collar of the dip stick. I take take the bolt out from the top with a ratchet, take the dipstick out from underneath, and then use the rod to maneuver the dip stick from up top to check the level after the car has warmed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.