SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing weeping power steering hoses as the next job with my green 2.1 sedan. Sourced the large one with 90 deg bend at the end from Saab Salvage, and the smaller one I already had a length of 10 mm Gates 'barricade' fuel hose just lying around spare so a couple of bits do the job.

The short hose from filter to the rack with crimped fitting was also leaking and I just cut the crimp off to remove the old hose and expose the barb so I can fit hose with normal clamps instead.

Now the issue of fluid came up yesterday when I posted about this in the Aus Saab facebook group.

Someone mentioned that Type-F ATF is the only fluid they have found that does *not* give leaks.

I have a few bottles of Nulon PSMV which is what I use with my 4wd, etc. and was going to use that but I'll need to jack up the front of the car and manually 'pump out' the steering rack with lock-to-lock turning while I have the hoses to the fluid reservoir removed.

Back when a lot of C900's had T37 auto boxes type-f was a really common thing to have around. But is it necessary for power steering systems in our cars, especially the 16 V ones?

Craig.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can't speak with any authority, but I was just searching for the same information for the same reasons (replacing PS hoses). The one fluid I saw recommended most often was Valvoline Power Steering Fluid, though there was no shortage of other suggestions; that's what I decided to go with. No idea about availability in Oz, however.

As to the hoses, before you start trying to seal high pressure hoses with band clamps, I suggest you check availability for the proper replacements. I found all three for a combined total of just over $40US. The fittings are a pain to get loose, but at least you know you'll have a decent seal. I'd be very leery of a band clamp holding up under that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Pretty much yep, though the system is spec'd for GM-compatible power steering fluid... it is a GM pump. ATF has some additives that PSF does not. Personally I would use PSF, but the differences are pretty subtle and it likely doesn't matter. I have never used anything but PSF and the only leaks I have are when stuff is old and busted.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I checked and the Nulon stuff meets the Saab spec for power steering fluid, so that's what I ended up using. Obviously when I had the front of the car 'jacked' to manually 'pump' out what I could from the rack/pump itself with lock-to-lock turning that didn't get all the pink stuff out, so when I got the motor going the new fluid is slightly pink-ish. I will get more of it and drop the fluid again while the hoses are fresh and new and I should get the big one off the bottom of the pump easily.

Haven't actually driven the car yet since all the hose work was done to see if I can feel any difference or get any strange noise out of the pump or rack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts