SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this fully discussed or answered, so I thought I would ask. With the dipstick on the 9-3(not sure about 900) it is spring loaded I believe so that you need to push it down, and turn the dipstick to release it from the engine. Then when you put it back in you need to push it down all the way, turn it, and then let it lock in place. So my question is, after removing the dipstick and then wiping it off, do you:

A) Push the dipstick all the way down as if you were going to lock it, and then pull it out and check it.

or
B) Push the dipstick down till it hits the plastic, and then pull it back out and check it.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I push mine in that little bit. Otherwise the level doesn't seem to make sense. But it isn't much of a difference.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It is the same on the 900. The wire and the tip are attached to the black part with the seal. It does not move. Pressing down on the spring-loaded cover does not change how far the tip goes down. Take it out and press it with your hand, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PMI,

That makes sense now that I think about it. So basically it would be good to put it in, and then just push it down a slight bit and then check.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What is important in checking the oil level in any car is consistency.

Try for the same spot (level is best,of course), same engine run time, same method, and if necessary do this at each fill up (if any money remains):nono; ..
I just let the engine rest for several minutes, pull and read, thats all and I will have to do this once every several weeks as there is some loss(1.5 qt in 3,000 miles)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts