SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I completed all the things on my 60k service except for the drive belt and clearing out my A/C drain hose(haven't had a chance to get under there). As far as the drive belt, a visual inspection to me shows it to be in very good shape, and in fact it almost appears to have been changed at some point before I got the car. Why it would have been changed I have no idea, but it seems in really good condition. I do not see any visible cracks externally, and in fact it looks about the same as the new belt I ordered some time ago.

But I wonder if I am checking the belt adequately. What is the proper procedure for checking the belt and making sure it is still good? If it means I have to take the whole thing off the pulleys to check it, then of course I might as well just change it to the new one.

As far as cost, changing the belt is trivial, but as far as time, that is a different matter. My point being, if the belt checks out to be in good shape, is there really a point in changing it? Who knows, maybe the new belt could have a manufacturing defect. :p

Now I know following the manual will most likely cause your car to sieze up on the side of the road someday, but under the 60k service in my factory manual it shows "inspect belt". Although it does say "change belt" for V6. I have a 2.0 HOT model.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'd just change it, but if not inspect for cracks and make sure it is seated properly on the pulleys, also the belt tensioner might need changing, i did it all around 100k. Preventative maintence is always best

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I'd lean toward changing it too. It's something I often do whenever I buy a used car that's new to me. That way you know ABSOLUTELY when it was last changed....

I'm the same way about tires....

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright alright :p

I will try and change it next weekend. I plan to do the idler pulley with it. How do I know if my tensioner is bad? loose belt?

As far as tires. Wow, that's pricey. I am waiting till the ones I have are dead. I don't really like them, but it's not worth over $500 to me to get them changed, since they are barely worn.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If the tires look good and the treadwear is still uniform and even, then leave them on. On an 02 car, they're probably the second set, or were used as summer tires.

You do have a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels, right? :cheesy:

And keep the old belt and throw it in the spare-tire well. That way you'll have a replacement if you ever need one in a pinch.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I believe the service life of the serpentine belt is an unknown.

I wonder if GM or anyone is engaged in any information gathering and compiling in this area???

It could be that 90% of the belts last for 100K miles, but that 80% of the pulleys last as long..
At Precision Tune we were instructed to count the number of cracks per inch - preventing needless changes.

Detailed Service records and quality care are vital for economy and reliability of operation.
This is something I see far too little of...

For now, I'd say change the belt at 50K and the pulleys at 100.. Or this can be done more often ; it is not that expensive (stay away from the dealer !) nor difficult. And also the short belt mod can be performed..

Towing, the embarrassment, lost time, possible damage, even a collision are far, far worse...

·
Registered
642 Posts
for tires I would reccomend Kumho Ecsta 712's they are excellent tires for the price, they cost about 68.00 a tire from tire rack.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts